| Although this brick is labeled as the Grist Mill, it may be the Tileston home. A photograph in the collection of the Dorchester Historical Society has the handwritten caption: Tileston House, Mill Street. Mill Street must have been named for the Tileston mill, but it is possible that the brick is mislabeled, confusing Mill Street with the mill itself. Or it could be that the house and the mill were one and the same.
Click image for more information
The mill was built by Edward Breck who probably came to Dorchester in the second migration in 1635, and he purchased a Mr. Burr?s land in 1642. Breck lived on Adams Street. Clap cites town records for December 17, 1645, saying, ?There was given to Edward Breck, by te hands of most of the inhabitants of the town, Smelt Brook Creek, on the condition that he doth set a mill there.? He built the mill; then he sold half the mill to William Robinson who sold it to Tileston in 1664 for 96 pounds. The description at that time was: a ?little house? and ten acres of land on ?Tide-Mill Creeke, and half a corn water-mill standing on the tide in the creeke, commonly called Salt Creeke or Brooke, near Captaine?s Neck.? Robinson when he was ?drawn through by ye cogwheel of his mill, and was torn in pieces and slain.? Since he died in 1668, he may have been working at the mill after he sold it.
The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.