Dorchester Atheneum
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
      > Huebener Brick no. 1 Barnard Capen House
      > Huebener Brick no. 2 Deacon Ebenezer Clap House
      > Huebener Brick no. 3 Missing
      > Huebener Brick no. 4 Minot House
      > Huebener Brick no. 5 James Blake House
      > Huebener Brick no. 21 Everett House
      > More on Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection..
   > Landmarks
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Huebener Brick no. 21, Everett House, Five Corners
Huebener Brick no. 21 Everett House
Click image for more information
 The Everett House was built at Five Corners (now Edward Everett Square) about 1745 by Robert Oliver, a wealthy planter from Antigua. The house was acquired in the late 18th century by Oliver Everett brother of Moses Everett, the minister of the First Church, who lived on Pleasant Street. Oliver Everett was born in South Dedham, and attended Harvard College, graduating in 1779. He studied divinity and took a post at New South Church, Boston. He belonged to the liberal wing of the Congregational body and was a good friend of Dr. James Freeman of King's Chapel who carried his congregation over to Unitarianism in 1787. Poor health caused Everett to resign in 1792. He became a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. He married Lucy Hill, daughter of Alexander Hill of Boston. They already had three children when they bought the large colonial house at Five Corners which had been built by a Royalist of some distinction, Colonel Robert Oliver. Edward Everett was born here on April 1, 1794. Oliver died in 1802, leaving his wife and eight children. After Oliver?s death, Mrs. Everett moved the family to Boston.



The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.



Edward Everett
Edward Everett
Click image for more information
 Edward Everett (1794-1865), was an American statesman, educator, and orator, born in Dorchester, Massachusetts, and educated at Harvard University and the University of Gottingen, Germany. Everett was the editor of the North American Review from 1820 until 1824. In 1825 he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and served for ten years. He was governor of Massachusetts from 1836 to 1840. The following year he was appointed U.S. Minister to Great Britain, returning to the U.S. in 1845 to become president of Harvard University, a position he held from 1846 to 1849. Everett served as Secretary of State (1852-53) under President Millard Fillmore and as U.S. Senator from Massachusetts from 1853 to 1854. In 1860 he ran unsuccessfully for the vice- presidency on the ticket of the Constitutional Union party as the running mate of John Bell of Tennessee. His orations, including the one he delivered at Gettysburg just before Lincoln's Address, were published in four volumes (1850-1892).

Location
Map detail 1874 John Richardson House
Click image for more information
 This detail from the 1874 Hopkins atlas shows that the house was located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Columbia Road and Boston Street across from the land that is now Richardson Park.

Woodcut view
Birthplace of Edward Everett
Click image for more information
 This hand-colored woodcut is from the collections of the Dorchester Historical Society.

Photograph
Everett House
Click image for more information
 Scan of illustration of Everett House from Historic Houses & Spots by J.W. Freese. Boston, 1898, possibly used as a model for the brick painting.

John Richardson
John Richardson
Click image for more information
 The house was later owned by George Richardson who purchased it from the widow Everett and then was owned by his brother John Richardson. The triangle, a piece of land lying between ond and Cottage Streets, which was originally part of the Oliver estate was not part of the Everett purchase but was acquired by Richardson in 1841 at auction. John Richardson bequeathed the triangle to the city of Boston to be used as a park or any other purpose except being sold for house lots. The Richardsons were great horticulturists and grew many thousands of peonies on their estate.

Peonies
Richardson House Garden
Click image for more information
 The following excerpt is from History of the Oliver, Vassall and Royall Houses in Dorchester, Cambridge and Medford by Robert Tracy Jackson. Boston: Reprinted from The Genealogical Magazine, 1907, p. 7.

?It is an interesting coincidence that one of the choice seedling peonies raised by Mr. John Richardson, more than a hundred years later on these grounds, is named Samuel Henshaw, in honor of the gentleman, the present Curator of the Museum of Comparative Zoology in Cambridge, who is the great-grandson of Samuel Henshaw [who was part of a committee that sold the property after it was confiscated from the loyalist John Vassall at the close of the Revolution]. The garden which is said to have been laid out by Thomas Oliver, was famous when in Mr. Richardson?s possession for the many rare and choice flowers produced in it especially peonies. Richardson?s seedling peonies ranking with the very best productions of their kind in the world. These are described in ? the Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.?


Peonies, continued
Peony Samuel Henshaw
Click image for more information
 Richardson's Samuel Henshaw peony.

Related Images: showing 8 of 69 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 69 images.
Blake House, Edward Everett SquareAppleton HouseRobert Oliver (Everett) HouseEverett House
Map Detail Edward Everett SchoolMoses EverettJohn RichardsonBlake House
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: May 25, 2008   Modified: August 9, 2011