Dorchester Atheneum
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
      > Huebener Brick no. 1 Barnard Capen House
      > Huebener Brick no. 2 Deacon Ebenezer Clap House
      > Huebener Brick no. 3 Missing
      > Huebener Brick no. 4 Minot House
      > Huebener Brick no. 5 James Blake House
      > Huebener Brick no. 22 Ward Macondray King House
      > More on Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection..
   > Landmarks
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Huebener Brick no. 22 Ward Macondray King House, Adams Street
Huebener Brick no. 22 Ward Macondray King House
Click image for more information
 The Ward-Macondray-King House was a three-story Federal manson, built on Adams Street about the year 1800, opposite Lonsdale and Mallet Streets.



The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.



Ward Macondray King
Map detail Edward King House
Click image for more information
 Nothing seems to be known of Ward, the first owner. The second owner was Captain Frederick William Macondray, who lived from 1803-1862. He was born in Raynham, Massachusetts, in the year 1803. While Frederick was yet an infant his father died, leaving two children to the mother?s care. She moved the family to Dorchester, but Frederick, who was asthmatic, had difficulty with his breathing. At a very early age he showed a decided interest in a sea-faring life, and before he was ten years old, in the year 1812, during the war, he went to sea in the care of Captain William Austin.


Detail from 1858 Walling Map of Norfolk County showing property owned by E. King on the east side of Adams Street, where there is now a playground.

Macondray
Clipper Ship Panther
Click image for more information
 After eight years of training Frederick, still under the command of Austin, set out on his longest journey, as Clerk and Fourth Officer on the sailing ship Panther on a two-year voyage to California to collect hides and tallow. Among his jobs was keeping a detailed log of the voyage. One year after the eventful trip on the Panther, the young Macondray was himself assigned in charge of a vessel and received the title of Captain. Just after he had attained his majority, Captain Macondray was called to the command of a vessel which plied between South American and China. At the age of 28, on September 22, 1831, he married Lavinia Capen Smith in Taunton, Massachusetts. Soon after their marriage, they set sail for China on the sailing vessel The Hamilton, and they lived in Macao for 8 years. Concern for the health and education of his growing family made it desirable for Captain Macondray to take his family back to Massachusetts on a journey that took more than two months.


Macondray
Captain Frederick William Macondray
Click image for more information
 The Captain purchased the home called ?Rosemont? in Dorchester. The estate stretched from Dorchester Avenue to Neponset Avenue and from a line 15 to 20 rods south of the mansion to Mill Street. He built a Chinese pagoda on the crown of the hill in back of the house. It was many feet high and made a magnificent observatory.

Rosemont
Rosemont, home of Frederick William Macondray
Click image for more information
 Captain Macondray and his family lived in Rosemont for five years. The estate was known for its beautiful gardens. He was a practical horticulturist, and for years the exhibition of his fruit and flowers at the Massachusetts Horticultural Society were highly honored.

Edward King
Rosemont, home of Frederick William Macondray
Click image for more information
 Although Macondray seems to have been already quite well off, when he heard the news of the gold excitement in 1849, he sold the house in Dorchester and the large estate to Mr. Edward King of Boston and went to California. Within one month of his arrival, he established, with James Otis and Mr. Cary, F.W. Macondray Co. It began as a commission house receiving the greater part of its merchandise from Boston. It became the largest commercial house in San Francisco, and in 1852, after its first shipment of tea, soon became the main importer of fine teas from China. In its infant stage, Macondray & Co. Also functioned as one of the first banking facilities in San Francisco and served as agents of North China Marine Insurance Co., and the Yang Tsze Marine Insurance Association, insuring hulls and cargo.

He became enormously rich. Amont his other accomplishments Macondray is credited with bringing Zinfandel vines to California in the period 1852-1857.


Related Images: showing 8 of 144 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 144 images.
Blake House, Edward Everett SquareEdward B. WilderSwan HouseRev. Charles Edward Spaulding
73 Kingsdale Street versoHuebener Brick no. 27 Aunt Deborah Field HouseHuebener Brick no. 28 John Robinson HouseClap's Favorite Pear
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: May 26, 2008   Modified: April 14, 2011