| The only reference in Orcutt's Good Old Dorchester to John H. Robinson (1809-1883) is as a member of the committee to build Lyceum Hall in the mid-nineteenth-century.
Click image for more information
John Howe Robinson was a descendant of James Robinson (1646-1694) and Mary Alcock (1645-1718). A few details of John Howe Robinson?s life and of his ancestors and descendants appear in a sketch in The American Series of Popular Biographies. He served as Selectman and lived at the old homestead, earning his living in the real estate and insurance business. He and his wife Elizabeth Clapp, daughter of Ebenezer Clapp, were members of the Unitarian Church (First Parish).
John?s father, Major Edward Robinson, who owned the house before him, was a very successful brick manufacturer. He was one of the largest land proprietors of his day, owning most of the land between Washington Street and the waterfront from Field?s Corner to Savin Hill, as well as the whole north side of Savin Hill.
The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.