Dorchester Atheneum
Sunday, July 12, 2020
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
      > Huebener Brick no. 1 Barnard Capen House
      > Huebener Brick no. 2 Deacon Ebenezer Clap House
      > Huebener Brick no. 3 Missing
      > Huebener Brick no. 4 Minot House
      > Huebener Brick no. 5 James Blake House
      > Huebener Brick no. 30, Morton Taylor House
      > More on Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection..
   > Landmarks
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours

Huebener Brick no. 30, Morton Taylor House, Dudley Street
Huebener Brick no. 30, Taylor Morton Mansion
Click image for more information
 The House built by the Mortons in 1796 was located on Dudley Street (then called Stoughton Street) nearly across the street from the James Swan House.

The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.

Perez and Sarah Morton
Map Detail 1874 Morton Taylor House
Click image for more information
 Perez Morton (1750-1837) and Sarah Wentworth Apthorp (1750-1846) were married at Trinity Church, Boston, on Feb. 24, 1781. They moved to the mansion that had belonged to Sarah?s grandfather and later to her uncles Thomas and Charles. As the property of a Loyalist expatriate, it was subject to confiscation, and in 1784, Perez Morton purchased the rights of Charles Ward Apthorp, of New York, and Thomas Apthorp, of London, to the property. There was a family scandal in the late 1780s, and it is supposed that Perez had an affair with Sarah?s sister Fanny who killed herself. The first American novel, The Power of Sympathy, published in 1789, was assumed for a time to have been written by Sarah since it dealt with a similar situation. Scholars now attribute the novel to William Hill Brown, a neighbor of the Mortons who knew about the scandal.

Sarah Wentworth Morton
Click image for more information
 Three poems that appear in Sarah?s collection My Mind and Its Thoughts appear to date from the period of the affair. They are an essay on ?Marriage,? a poem, ?Stanzas to a Recently United Husband,? and another poem, ?Conciliation.?

Perez Morton
Click image for more information
 Perez purchased the land at the corner of Dudley and Burgess Streets in 1794 and added to it twice. The Mortons moved from Boston to the Dorchester site in late 1796 or early 1797. Sarah said that the house was built according to her own ?whimsical plan.? Charles Bulfinch, however, was her cousin, and the design of the house has been attributed to him. Bulfinch designed the Swan House across from the Morton House.

Morton Taylor House
Click image for more information
 Kimball ascribes the design to Bulfinch, saying that ?He designed the Morton House with an octagonal projecting room, the ellipse, truncated in this case so it does not project, being reserved for the up-stairs drawing room.?

Sarah?s publications include poems contributed to literary magazines. Her first long poem was published in December, 1790, Ouabi: or The Virtues of Nature, An Indian Tale. In Four Cantos. Boston: Isaiah Thomas and Ebenezer Andrews, 1790. Other works include: Beacon Hill. A Local Poem, 1797; The Virtues of Society. A Tale Founded on Fact, 1799; My Mind and Its Thoughts, in Sketches, Fragments, and Essays, 1823.

Later history
Taylor House
Click image for more information
 In 1806 Perez was elected Speaker of the lower house in the General Court of Massachusetts and was re-elected in 1807, 1810 and 1811. He was appointed to Attorney General in 1810 to fill a vacancy. He served in this position until 1832.

On Sept. 27, 1803, Perez mortgaged the property to his brother Joseph Morton. On July 7, 1808, Joseph Morton sold the estate to Cornelius Coolidge. Sometime before that the family had moved out. The property was later acquired by the Taylor family. It was taken down in 1891.

The Mortons moved 1803 and 1808 to a piece of land purchased by Sarah at what is known as Allen?s Plain, fronting on Pleasant Street and adjoining Stoughton Street. The house was known as the Pavilion. Perez died there in 1837. In 1841 Sarah sold the property to William D. Swan, instructor, of Dorchester. It was demolished in the 1880s.


Hopkins 1874 atlas

Clapp, David. The Old Morton and Taylor Estates in Dorchester, Mass. Boston: Press of David Clapp & Son, 1892. Reprinted from the N. England Historical and Genealogical Register for Jan., 1892.

Kimball, Fiske. Domestic Architecture of the American Colonies and of the Early Republic. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1922

McBride, Marion A. ?Some Old Dorchester Houses.? New England Magazine, May, 1890.

Orcutt, William Dana. Good Old Dorchester: A Narrative History of the Town, 1630-1893. Cambridge: The University Press, 1908 [c1891]

Pendleton, Emily and Ellis, Milton. Notes from Philenia. The Life and Works of Sarah Wentworth Morton, 1759-1846. The Maine Bulletin, Dec. 1931, v. xxxiv, no. 4.

Related Images: showing 8 of 68 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 68 images.
Swan Mansion, Dudley StreetOliver Optic HouseWilliam T. Adams signatureSwan House
Swan House MantelMorton HouseSwan House elevationSumner House, Morton Street
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: June 15, 2008   Modified: April 14, 2011