| Orcutt says of the Granary:
Click image for more information
In 1832 a syndicate was formed for the prosectuion of the whale and cod fisheries at Commercial Point. This syndicate was composed of Messrs. Nathaniel Thayer, a brother of John E. Thayer, the founder of the house of the well-known firm of Kidder, Peabody, & Co.; Mr. Elisha Preston, of Dorchester, who was the senior part of the firm of Preston & Thayer; Mr. Josiah Stickney, a well-known Boston merchant; and Mr. Charles O. Whitmore, of the firm of Lombard & Whitmore, whose residence was near the Point, and who acted as ?ship?s-husband? for the vessels composing the fleet. This syndicate equipped four vessels for the whale fishery, and twenty schooners, of which two--the ?Belle? and the ?Preston?--were built at the Point. They purchased not only the wharf, but quite a tract of land in its immediate vicinity, where they put flakes for the drying of their codfish. They also built some cooper-shops and a store for the supply of sailors? outfits and ship chandlery. The store was built from the material used in the construction of the granary which formerly occupied the site of the present Park Steet Church in the city proper.
The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.