Dorchester Atheneum
Friday, January 22, 2021
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
   > First Church
   > Second Church
   > Third Church
   > First Methodist Episcopal Church
   > St. Mary's Church (Episcopal)
   > All Saints Church
   > More on Churches..
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours

All Saints Church
All Saints, Ashmont
Click image for more information
 All Saints' Episcopal Church began in 1867 as a mission of St. Mary's Church under the guidance of Miss Hannah Austin, later Sister Hannah, who in 1897 was in charge of the Church Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota. All Saints was formed as a separate parish in Dorchester Lower Mills in 1874 in a wooden frame chapel built for the mission in 1871. The Rev. William H. Mills of St. Mary's preached every Sunday evening from 1867 to March 14, 1869, when Mills appointed the Rev. J.B. Clark who conducted services every Sunday morning until 1871. The Rev. George Waters succeeded Clark and continued for a year and a half. Mills then resumed the services until he left St. Mary's in the spring of 1874.

On December 28, 1879, a snowstorm stranded Colonel Oliver Peabody and his wife, Mary Lothrop Peabody, who were traveling by carriage from Milton to Boston supposedly on their way to church in Boston, and they found shelter in All Saints' during the sermon. They were especially moved by the sermon on that Holy Innocents Day--the rector, the Rev. George Bennitt, mentioned in his sermon that he had lost a child, and the Peabody's, too, had lost a child in infancy. The Peabody's returned, ultimately converted from Unitarianism and endowed All Saints' with vast sums of money. In 1882 they paid to have the chapel moved along Dorchester Avenue from Lower Mills to Ashmont. They contributed eighty thousand toward the one hundred fifteen thousand dollars needed to build the new stone church in Peabody Square at 209 Ashmont Street from 1892 to 1894.

Douglass Shand Tucci said of the church: Architect Ralph Adams Cram's first church, designed in partnership with Bertram Goodhue, was All Saints', Ashmont. A significant landmark in American architectural history, All Saints' is, of its type, Cram and Goodhue's masterpiece, and a model for American parish church architecture for the first half of the 20th century.

The rectors of the church and their periods of tenure were:

George S. Bennitt, 1880-1887
Charles Tileston Whittemore, 1887-1907
Charles Mockridge, 1908-1910
Simon Blinn Blunt, 1910-1927
Grieg Taber, 1927-1939
Arthur Webber Perry Wylie, 1939-1949
Warren Newman, 1949-1952
Sewall Emerson, 1953-1963
F. Albert Frost, 1963-1974
John R. Purnell, 1975-

For more information, consult:

Fiftieth Anniversary of the Foundation of St. Mary's Parish, Dorchester, 1847-1897. Dorchester: Printed for the Parish, 1898.

Floyd, Alice P. The History of the Parish of All Saints (Ashmont) Dorchester, Boston, Massachusetts. Dorchester, 1945.

Shand Tucci, Douglass. All Saints' Ashmont, Dorchester, Boston. A Centennial History of the Parish. Boston: Published by the Parish, 1975.

Shand-Tucci, Paul Douglass. Ashmont: An Historical Guide to Peabody Square, Carruth's Hill, and Ashmont Hill and the Architecture of Edwin J. Lewis, Jr. and John A. Fox. Dorchester: The Dorchester Historical Society, 1991.

Shand Tucci, Douglass. Church Building in Boston, 1720-1970. Issued by the Trustees of the Dorchester Savings Bank; Concord: The Rumford Press, 1974.

Shand Tucci, Paul. The Gothic Churches of Dorchester. Boston: Tribune Publishing Company, 1972

Readers' Comments
 From: Terry Henderson

My husband was thirty-five when he was buried from this church. I think the Minister was younger and it was his first graveside service. It was 1975.

Related Images: showing 8 of 38 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 38 images.
All Saints Side ViewAll Saints East Side ViewAll Saints sketchAll Saints Church
Colonel Oliver PeabodyRalph Adams CramOliver PeabodyAll Saints Choir of Men and Boys circa 1920
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: September 22, 2003   Modified: March 27, 2006