Dorchester Atheneum
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
   > First Church
   > Second Church
      > James H. Means
      > Church Split
      > Second Church Autobiographies
   > Third Church
   > First Methodist Episcopal Church
   > St. Mary's Church (Episcopal)
   > More on Churches..
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours

Autobiographies 1985
 Come ?.
Celebrate Our Lives

Autobiographies of Members

Distributed during the 180th anniversary of the Second Church in Dorchester, September, 1985

Introduction to Second Church's Autobiographies

We hope you find this collection of autobiographies interesting and informative. We would like you to be included in our next printing. So please read these, and then write, and send in your own life story
This idea to collect autobiographies came out of the Adult Sunday School class during the winter of 1984-85. As we shared, in class, our personal life history, we discovered how valuable each one of us is I We came to celebrate our lives, and our varied gifts from God. Since this was important to us, we thought it may be for you, also.

In the Spring of 1985 we encouraged members and friends of Second Church in Dorchester to write and send in their life story. Then one church member felt we should have permission to print them, so we asked each person to sign this statements "I have written my autobiography for Second Church in Dorchester. This is so we can get to know each other, and build up our sense of community of faith. I give permission for my autobiography to be printed and distributed within our Second Church in Dorchester family".

On the next page you will find the "guidelines" which went with the original request. This was to give people a variety of ideas on what to write about. Any format or way of writing your life story is encouraged.
We want to thank those who responded. They are included here in alphabetical order.

Helen Ashton Zenaide Lomba
Mildred Child Bernice Lothrop
David Fitzgerald Edith MacAskill
Edith Grigor Mary Milne
Annie Rita Howitt Virginia Morrison
Alice Lane Georgina Palmieri
Martha Loesch Marion Smith
Russell Loesch Alfred Thomas
William Loesch Anna Tierney
Joseph Lomba Virginia White

So, again, we say "enjoy'and celebrate these lives" and send yours in so it can be included in the next printing.

- The Adult Sunday School Class of ?84-?85 Anna, Marion, Helen, Millie, Martha and Bill

Guidelines for autobiographies of members and friends of Second Church in Dorchester

Please care and share. Here is a special opportunity for us to get to know one another in a new, but special way. You may submit them handwritten, and we will have them typed up. If you have any questions speak to those who have already done one*

Some guidelines of areas to include are as follows:
- Parental and ancestral history
- Birthdate and place
- Brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren, -
with names, where they are now and what doing.
- Your educational history- including training programs,
workshops attended and degrees.
- Your vocational history - permanent, part-time or volunteer.
- Your religious life journeys
where and when baptized, what churches joined, past and present involvement in church activities. Favorite religious writers or people.
- Your favorite hobbies, skills or interests.
- Your travels: where and what liked the best.
- Where you have lived, how long, and specific memories of them.
- Present activities and hopes.
- Present address and telephone number.

Thank you very much.

(please return this portion to church office)

I have written my autobiography for Second Church in Dorchester. This is so we can get to know each other, and build our sense of community of faith.
I give permission fanny autobiography to be printed and distributed within our Second Church in Dorchester family*
Signature Date


I was born on September 10, 1931*

I am the mother of three children: they are Greta, Gordon and Arthur Ashton.

I graduated from Woburn High School.

I am a member of the Second Church of Dorchester, which I joined in April, 1981.

I work at the Bank of Boston, as a Chef's helper.

In the past I have enjoyed dancing and the theater.

39 Dunlap Street Dorchester, Mass. 02124


I was born in Bath, Maine. My mother died when very young and I came to Dorchester to live with my great aunt and my grandparents.
I went to the Central Congregational Church and then to Parkman Street Methodist Church. I was baptised and joined that church. At a church social I met Milton N. Child, and later married him at this church and came to the "White Church", Second Church in Dorchester, by letter of faith.

My husband was a member of Second Church in Dorchester. I have been a "kitchen canary" over forty years and always enjoyed working in the kitchen and helping whenever needed for suppers and get-togethers.

I belong to The Association and have been secretary for years. Also I am a member of Phi Sigma Phi Class, and was President for two years. I attend Craft Class and am also a Deaconess. I belong to the Eastern Star, and was active in the Junior League of Algonquin Chapter.

Milton died in the summer of 1985 after a brief, but serious

10 Whitman Street Dorchester, Ma. 02124
Tel. 265- 7055


I was born in Providence, Rhode Island, on May 21, 1939. My mother was the daughter of a Providence lawyer. My father, whose father also was a lawyer, went to work for New England Electric System and eventually became its financial Vice-President.

I do not know much of the ancestral history of my mother's family except the names Habich and Phillips and that the latter had a general store somewhere in Connecticut in the Nineteenth century. Of my father's side, I know more. Most first arrived in the early seventeenth century. One, named Pickering, was active in the Revolutionary War and eventually became Secretary of State under George Washington. Another, named Goddard, was wagonmaster under Henry Khox on the expedition which brought back the cannon which drove the British out of Boston. Another, named Walker was involved in building the Panama Canal. Other branches of my father's family apparently arrived in this country shortly after the close of the Revolutionary* War. One was named McCoy. Another, named Fitzgerald, was a Methodist Bishop.

I have one younger brother, Gordon, who teaches accounting at the University of Wisconsin. I also have two younger sisters, Hope and Nancy, both of whom are married and have children.

I attended Roxbury Latin School and graduated in 1957. I then attended Princeton University, and graduated in 1961, with a B.A. in Art and Archeology.

I have worked at various jobs in the past, including teaching and insurance, and for the past fifteen years or so have run a self-employed landscaping business, as well as managing a tax accounting office in the winter.

My religious journey probably began sometime after college as a search for answers to problems and ills for which I could not find any other answer. I became a member of Union Church in Waban and was such until coming to Dorchester three years ago. Most of my "religious" reading is in the Bible itself, but I find items of religious significance in many other sources also.

My favorite hobbies are reading, gardening and long-distance running. Main interests are history, art, landscape design, philosophy and religion.

My favorite, and only, trip abroad was to Florence, Italy in 1965 where I spent three weeks looking at the originals of the art I had studied in college.

Our family lived for 26 years in Waban (Mass.), then for about eight years in Wellesley Hills. After that, I moved to Somerville, where I stayed seven years* then moved to Dorchester, where I now live.

My present address is
14 Everett Street, # 4,
Dorchester, Ma.02122


In the beginning-

Emil Anderson and Ellmina Mattson came to the United States from Fritsla, Sweden about 1888 when she was 18 and he was 20 years old. They did not know each other in Sweden, but met here at the Swedish Church in Boston. They were married in 1897. Their marriage certificate says he was an engineer? she, a domestic. They had three children. Ethel was born in 1898, George in 1900, and Edith in 1903.

Emil's parents were Anders Johnson and Soffia. Ellmina1s were Matthias Mattson and Anna Lisa Pierson. That's as far as I can trace them, but this summer, my nephew, Clifford Anderson and his wife, Dorothy, are going to Sweden and meet my cousins there and hopefully trace his roots back in Sweden. They have already done this for his wife in the U.S.A.

My sister, Ethel, was secretary to the lawyer for A.T. & T. in Boston. She was married to Hector Lopez. He came here from Argentina to go to Mass. Institute of Technology. He became a chemical engineer, Sales Manager for Babcock in Wilcox, Pa. They had three daughters.
My brother, George Anderson, when completing high school, worked for Otis Elevator days, and went four evenings a week to evening Mass. Institute Technology (called Lowell Tech.). He was married to Alice Foster, a dear friend of our Ann Meeken. I spent much time with them at the Cape, especially during their last five years, helping in any possible way because he, and finally she was ill. They both went "Home" in *82 and '83, leaving a great void in my life.

I was born on January 28, 1903, baptized at home in Dorchester by a Swedish minister. When old enough to go to Sunday School, my parents thought we should go to an American one, and follow American customs. When 14, I joined the church under Dr. Pierce. At 15* I took the Teacher training course under Viola Dickey. I started teaching Sunday School which went on for many years.

For day schools, I graduated from Dorchester High School, Normal course, and Boston Normal School (three year course then). Next was Boston University School of Education on a scholarship leading to a Bachelor of Science in Education in 1924. Then I earned, at the Graduate School, a Master of Arts in 1925. I taught at the "Model School**, the Teacher Training school for students of Boston Teacher's College. We had our own class of pupils plus about 25 college students observing and given teaching assignments.

While I was going to Boston University, I worked summers, sometimes spring and fall, being a playground teacher at Wainwright Park and at Field's Corner. Also, my courses were arranged to be able to do substitute teaching Tuesdays and Thursdays. It gave me experience and helped with finances.

Now to help with extra church causes, I knit numerous baby sweaters and bonnet sets, mittens, ski boots to sell at the fairs or sell myself and donate the money for church causes. I talk up the Fairs to my dear friends and neighbors, one Jewish, one Catholic, so they very generously donate many good things.

I was married to James Grigor, who was born in Elgin, Scotland. The family came here when he was only seven years old. He worked for Hall and Cole Co. in Wholesale Fruits and Vegetables in Faneuil Hall Market. We bought what is now my home in Milton in 1947. Our home until then had been at 103 Lonsdale Street, Dorchester, which my parents had bought in the early 1900s. My father was taken "Home" in 1932. Mother and I, and then Mother, Jim and I continued to live there. She sold it when we bought the Milton home. The three of us continued living together very happily. She was a dear little lady, accomplished in many fields, dearly beloved. She had many precepts for living, such as:

"Always do your very best."
"Give with a good heart or not at all."
"God sees to your heart".

She loved gardening, getting out at 5 a.m. to work in it, until a year before she went "Home" in 1961 at almost 91 years. There was plenty of land, so we added all kinds of trees, bushes, and flowers to have year round greens and mostly year 'round flowers. For almost 20 years we supplied many of the summer flower bouquets for the church and chapel. We were delighted to be able to share their beauty. Jim and I lived very happily here for 28 years until he was taken "Home11 in 1970.

Jim came here from Scotland, while my parents came from Sweden. In 1930, I went to Europe, planning our trip to see the Passion Play of Oberammergau with Alois Lang as the Christus. We stayed at the home of Anton Lang, who had been the Christus a number of times. We liked the Play very much. We bought beautiful pottery and an expertly hand carved crucifix in the Lang shops. Dr. Richards said Second Church would not have use for it, so I gave it to a very appreciative Catholic friend.

We visited England, Holland, Prance, Italy and Switzerland, too. Of them, I preferred the beautiful mountains and lakes of Switzerland.
Jim and I had no children and I am the last living one of my generation. I had hundreds of "part-time" children while teaching in Boston. Now I have a "long distance" family of nieces and nephews in many parts of the country.

Clifford Anderson and Dorothy(wife). He is a Professor of Naval Architecture at Mississippi State University.
My sister's three daughters are:

Connie Lopez of Bridgeville , Pa., where she teaches in Upper St. Clair Township, Pa.

Marilyn Dalton( husband, William). He teaches in Purdue University, and they live in W. Lafayette, Indiana.

Sylvia Loomis( widow of Allen) is a Rehabilitation Counselor, living in West Chester, Pa.

We write to each other, talk on the phone, visit occasionally to keep up with the doings of them, and their families, my grand and great grand nieces and nephews! When they do come here, they enjoy going to Second Church as they did summers when they were children. True, it is quite different, but I hope that with God's help, we may bring back some of the spirit and people to replace those who are fast leaving us.

385 Blue Hill Avenue Milton, Mass. 02186


I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in September, 1894. My parents were Andrew and Jane Wilson, and I had two sisters: Lizzie (Martin) and Jane (Dougall). We lived in the Liberton section of Edinburgh, on the outskirts of the city, when I was a small child, and we moved into the city when I was about five, so I went to Edinburgh public schools*
When I was through school, I worked as a Tailoress in Edinburgh and continued in that work when I came to the United States with my mother in 1916. My elder sister had moved to this country when she married, and we lived in South Boston near her when we first came here. Later, my mother and I took an apartment in Dorchester.
I married Thomas Howitt in 1925. He had come here from Scotland after World War I. In 1929, we bought our house on Tiverton Road in Mattapan, and we joined Second Church at about that time. Tom and I had three sons: Thomas, Andrew and John.

Tom, Jr., and his wife, Mae, live in Corning, N.Y. They have three children, and three grandchildren (my great-grand-children).
Andrew and his wife, Jane, live in Westwood, Mass., and also have three children.

John and his wife, Fat, live in Corning, N.Y., and they, too, have three children.

My husband was an enthusiastic lawn bowler and a great deal of our social life centered around the Lawn Bowling Associations of Milton and Quincy. I still keep in touch with our friends from the lawn bowling days, many of whom were also from Scotland.

We also participated actively in the Second Church, and I treasure the memories and friendships acquired during that time. Through the generosity of friends, I am still able to attend Second Church regularly.
We moved to Quincy in 1972, just before my husband died. I have been fortunate in meeting new friends in the building where I have lived since 1976. Although my eyesight is failing, I 8till am able to en-joy reading and card-playing.

Last September I celebrated my 90th birthday at a party with all my children and grandchildren. Keeping in touch with them and other family and friends keeps me very busy.

80 Clay Street, # 806 Wollaston, Ma. 02170


I was born on May 19th, 1910 in Brooklyn, New York. My mother was Lottie W. Lane, born in No. Leverett, Mass, and my father was was William D. Lane, born in Boston, Mass. My brother is Richard W. Lane, who served in the Army in World War II, and was also a POW. He is now retired and living in Sandwich, Mass.

My nephew is Kenneth G. Lane, and works for Stone and Webster, and lives in Plymouth, Mass. My maternal grandmother was Lenora Hall Whipple, born in Vermont. My maternal grandfather was Richard S. Whipple, born in Massachusetts. He was a Civil War veteran who saw Abraham Lincoln. My paternal grandmother was Charlotte E. Lane who was born in England, and my paternal grandfather was John Lane, born in Ireland.

Ancestral history: On my mother's side, one of our ancestors was Alice Carpenter, who became the wife of Gov. William Bradford on Aug. 14, 1623. the 4th marriage in the colony.

Education: I graduated from Dorchester High School for Girls and Fisher Business College.

Vocational history: After several temporary jobs I worked for almost 38 years in the accounting department of the Employer's Liability Assurance Corporation, which later merged with Commercial Union Insurance Company. I retired in November, 1973.

Religious Life: I was baptized in Brooklyn, New York. At age six we moved to Dorchester and I was enrolled in the Sunday School at Second Church in Dorchester. On Easter Sunday, 1924, I joined the Church after attending the Pastor's Class under Rev. Vaughn Dabney. It was his custom to hand a Bible verse to each new member. I still have my card which reads: "Ye are my friends if ye do the things which I command you." John 15:l4.

Since 1928 I have been a member of the Phi Sigma Phi Class, the current name being Phi Sigma Phi-Philathea. I served as Secretary and President at different times through the years. I joined the Junior Choir, followed by the Choral Choir (for teen-agers) and finally the Senior Choir, of which I was a member for 30 years.

I served as Secretary of the Sunday School for four years, and was a Sunday School teacher for 19 years. I attended the Sunday School teachers and officers retreats held at Farrington Memorial in Lincoln, Mass. And I took part in the annual presentations of the "Life of Christ in Living Pictures" for many years.

I served on the Music Committee for many years, being chairman for several of those years. I also served on a few other committees for shorter periods of time.

Main interests:
Music, reading and travelling. I have been to Florida once, California twice, and Canada several times. I think the most beautiful scenery was in the Canadian Rockies, especially Lake Louise.
I lived in Dorchester for 58 years at three different addresses, all in the Codman Square area. In 197^ I moved to Wollaston, Mass. In July, 1985 I moved to Quincy.

1000 Southern Artery, Apt. 3313 Quincy, Mass. 02169


I was born in Belize City, Belize, which was formerly known as British Honduras. I am a florist at Kuppersmith Florist in Harvard Square, Cambridge. I had my training at Rittner's Floral Designing School in Boston, as well as learning from my mother, who is a florist in Belize.
I am the youngest of eight children, My brothers and sisters are: Lydia living in Chicago; Alexander("Junior"), Andrew and Annie in New York; Rita in Belize; Judith in Belize; and Carolyn in Texas. My mother owns a hotel and floral shop in Belize.

Presently I am taking course in Business Management at Fisher Junior College, and plan to continue in the near future at University of Massachusetts.

I was baptized at St. Ignatius Church in Belize City, and was raised in the Roman Catholic tradition. I got married at Second Church in Dorchester, and joined there in 1984.

I married Bill, and we have three children. Chris is three; Melanie is six, and has been attending St. Joseph's Community School for two years, and now Greenwood School for first grade. Cynthia was born in June, 1985.

I love dancing, watching T.V., and helping young people talk about their lives and activities* I also enjoy talking with Russell- Dad- who lives on the first floor with us.

My travels have included Mexico, Guatemala, New York, New Jersey. Connecticut and New Hampshire.

85 Brent Street Dorchester, Ma. 02124


I was born in Garrettsville, Ohio in December, 1907. I lived in the Ohio area until I left to attend Seminary. We moved to Cleveland, Ohio when I was six years old and I attended the Public School of that city for four years and then we moved to the suburbs to an area called Parma where I finished my grade school years in a one room, then a two- room school conducted by two teachers that I can still remember. By this time we were living on a 20 acre farm where I had the usual chores which fall to the youngsters growing up in that age. I had the care of four horses, sometimes six, and the milking and care of eight cows. This experience stood me in good stead in later years. I finished High School in the Parma School system and then went to work with my Father in the Loesch and Green Construction Co. We did city pavements, built bridges and all manner of contractive work. When I was 19 my father was killed in an accident involving one of our machines.

This brought me to the need for something more definite in my life, so I went back to school taking some courses at night and working in a bank during the daytimes. We moved to Michigan about that time and I decided that I had better get on with my education after having been out of High School some three years. So I did my first year of College at Wayne University in Detroit, Michigan. By this time I had begun to think something of the ministry as a vocation. I had been brought up in Cleveland at the Pilgrim Congregational Church which was one of the first Institutional churches in the country. We had a bowling alley, a gym, recreational rooms along with opportunity to do some acting and singing in the various plays and operettas performed by the members of the church.

Thus I wanted something more stable in a college atmosphere than a city college. I applied to Oberlin College in Ohio, and was accepted. There I finished my A.B. Degree. From there I decided that Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Centre, Mass. was the place for a theological education. After the first year during the summer months I volunteered to go as a student missionary to Alzada, Montana. This was a very fine experience, one that meant so much that I went back to Ekalaka, Montana for the second year. Here I had a parish of some four thousand square miles, and some 3,000 people to which to minister. Coming back from this experience I was chosen for the Carl Paton Fellowship at the School, and spent the last year at the seminary working in the South End_of Boston equating religion to criminal behavior. I graduated from Andover Newton in 1935 and was ordained to the Christian ministry in Pilgrim Church, Cleveland, Ohio of May 28, 1935.

Leaving the "Hill"(Andover Newton) in 1935 posed much the same questions and uncertainty that many of the graduates are facing at this time. The Great Depression was still raging in the country and churches were not changing pastors. My first church was the old Witchcraft Church of Salem Village in Danvers, Mass. Pounded in 1672- torn apart from the witchcraft delusion of 1692- the church moved slowly into the 20th century. Having come from the Mid West acceptability did not come easily. Only after it was ascertained that some of my ancestors came to Cape Cod in 1634 was I accepted. During this pastorate I moved from single life to the married life by marrying Polly Francis from Andover, Mass. Three years of a good pastorate brought the call to new fields* Perhaps New England was not the only place in the world in which to serve God.

Thus we were called to the First Congregational Church of Take Worth, Florida. While the depression was ameliorating in the East it was still very present in the Sunshine State. From a salary of $1,640 a year we moved to the munificent salary of $4,000 per year. This parish offered the excellent opportunity to become a part of the city government in the form of being chosen a member of the Rationing Board and the Draft Board. Here we had the opportunity to introduce some of the early audio-visual programs to the church as well as a radio program with the choir and musical directors. The fellowship of the ministers of the 27 churches was better than places where there were the local associations. Florida was seven hundred miles in length and some 100 miles wide, but we got together often in a real fellowship and concern. But shortly after our twin sons were born Pearl Harbor broke on the world. Taking a pacifist stand against the war-mongering of the Legion and clamoring of some people to get into the war produced some difficulties. But I could not see the young of our country being sent to war without some spiritual leadership so I "joined" up as a Chaplain in the Army Air Corps. A year of moving from one base to another up and down the East Coast brought the overseas assignment to England. After a year in England under the "buzz" bombs and the bombing of the various air fields came the chance to go to France shortly after D-Day. Here the ministry to the young men became very real as we faced death in so many ways. Pilots, ground personnel and civilians all were involved in the furthering of the feeling that war was certainly not the answer to peace in the world. The loss of the Group Commander and over half of the Flying personnel indicated a move to something a bit more constructive in nature than the continual devastation of people and places. Thus came the opportunity to join one of the Air Force Field Hospitals. Here we were in the midst of the war in reality, but at least one could attempt to heal the wounds of war in some fashion. The hospital ministry was one which led to a very real interest in this particular phase of the Christian ministry.

After the conclusion of the war in Europe it was found that I had more points time than I should have had and so I was ordered home. By this time, after 26 months overseas I was ready to leave the military service. Thus in 19^6 I started to look for another ministry. There were churches open, but those of us who had served in the military were looked upon with some question. I was not too interested in the Church as a place for ministry, but after a time of questioning I accepted the call to the Melrose Highlands Congregational Church of Melrose, Mass. Here was a church just on the edge of breaking out into a vital Christian concern. So from 1946 to 1955 we had a wonderful ministry in this place where the lay people were ready to really work together to build a new church. These were the fruitful years in so very many ways. The people were responsive and willing. A new church was built and then came a call to a new ministry. In 1955 I went to New York to establish the position of Minister to Chaplains for the Congregational Christian Churches.

Up until this time the Chaplains were considered to be "ministers without charge.? With some pushing and shoving we finally got them into the Year Book along with the missionaries and others who were serving other fields than the local church. During this time it was a real privilege to visit with these chaplains and their wives in many of the far places in the world where they were serving in a vital manner in the name of Christ. Travel during the period took my ministry from Europe into the Middle East, to the Par East and even to the Antarctic Continent. In spite of the reluctance of many church people to accept these "military" people we finally brought this fine group of Chaplains and their families into the scope and interest of the Church. After nine years there came the opportunity to do something of the same type of ministry in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

In Virginia we were called to the Executive position of the Interdenominational Foundation which was made up of some ten denominations who supported the chaplaincy in the various penal and institutional schools in the whole state of Virginia. Here was a real challenge. The denominations were somewhat more acceptable to the idea of civilian Chaplains than they had been to the idea of Military Chaplains. But after two years came a call from a church that was in difficulty.

I had been interim pastor in the Cedar Grove Community Church of Cedar Grove, New Jersey, during the time I was in the New York office, so I knew the church and its people. They finally convinced me that a real ministry could be performed so we came there in 1963. This was a New church start which had gotten off the ground, but needed to be stabilized into a vital church. This happened like the people of Melrose in that the people worked and shared together in a vital ministry. Many community activities were shared and the church progressed. Finally after moving across the "65" year age boundary we stayed another two years and in June of 1975 "retired" to Lee, Mass. Here came the opportunities to continue some travel which we had been doing. Europe, the Middle East, Morocco, and many other places came in the range of my camera and Polly's easel.

Both Bob and Bill had gone into the Christian ministry - partly because it took both of them to make up for my mistakes. Today, Bob, Yale Divinity '67, is the Associate Pastor of the First Church of Christ, Congregational in Springfield , Mass. He has a family of four children and is finding many challenges with the inner city church. Bill, Andover Newton '68, is the Chaplain of Boston City Hospital after a period of ministry to the Columbia Point housing community. He is supervising chaplain for many trainees coming into chaplaincy and into service of the Church*. He has a family of three children, and recently we have purchased a two-family house in Dorchester, Mass. This is the 30th house that I have lived in. Bill and Martha have the second floor and I have the first. It works out very well. Being alone after the death in 1981, after 4 years of marriage to Polly, the minister's wife par excellence, left a great void in our lives. After retirement a triple by-pass operation on my heart held me down for a time. However, today, some six years later I am back doing what I can of travel, weddings, funerals, and preaching. The last three churches have maintained a contact and they invite me back from time to time.

Thus 1985 comes into the picture. Fifty years - where did they go? And why is it that every time one meets one of his classmates from college or seminary that they all seem so much older than I do? It has been a fruitful, challenging and inspirational fifty years and I thank God for his continual blessings with new days and new insights.

85 Brent Street Dorchester, Mass. 02124


My ancestors come from Wales and from England. My paternal ancestors were from Wales, and my maternal grandparents from England. The most famous was Captain John Kendrick who "was Captain of the ship, Columbia, the "Gem of the Ocean", along with Capt. Gray.. This ship discovered the great China Trade route, as well as discovering the Columbia River, on the west coast.

I was born in West Palm Beach, Florida on November 20,1941. I have a twin brother, Bob, who is living in Springfield, Mass. He is the Associate Pastor of First Church, Springfield. He is married to Patty, and has four children - Shelley Lynn(19), Donald (16), Christine (5), and Sandra Jean (2).

My mother, Polly, was an active church member, and a loyal and hard-working minister's wife. She was an Occupational Therapist, and Teacher of O.T. She died in 1981. My father, Russell, is a retired Pastor of the United Church of Christ. He was Pastor in Lake Worth, Florida when I was born, and then became an Air Force Chaplain during World War II. So in my earlier years we lived on several military bases until I was five year old.

We moved to Andover, Mass., when I was 5 to live with my mother's father. Then to Melrose Highlands, where my Dad was Pastor while I attended 1- 8th grades.

Our family moved to Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and we became members of Glen Ridge Congregational Church. I became active in church youth groups, and in the high school. Active in youth leadership in Pilgrim Fellowship for all of New Jersey, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. as co-chair of social action, and then as co-President. I graduated from Glen Ridge High School in 1959.
During these years our family did extensive travelling by car to 58 of the 50 states, then to Europe, and later years to the Middle East, Egypt, Italy, Greece for a total of at least 22 countries.

I attended Oberlin College in Ohio, with a major in Sociology, and a minor in Psychology. While there I was active in local church groups, social activities, and social justice concerns. I graduated in 1963 with a B.A.

During the summers I found opportunities to enhance my skills in different areas, and learn about life. For example, I was Asst. Mgr. of the Old Fashioned Country Store in Rockport, Mass; groundskeeper of a summer lake resort in Melvin Village, New Hampshire: Head Counselor of Camp Passumpsic in Vermont; in team ministry to migrant workers in New York State and church work in Cedar Grove, New Jersey.

I then attended Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Centre, Mass. where I earned my M.Div. in 1968. Then I was ordained into the United Church of Christ, at Pilgrim Church in Dorchester. I did youth work at First Church in Winchester, and then became active at Columbia Point housing community in Dorchester. While in Seminary I was active with their curriculum revision; with dialogue groups between Roman Catholic and Protestant seminarians. Also active in the Civil Rights movement in Selma, Alabama; Washington, D.C., and at Columbia Point. I met and participated with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on several occasions.

My ministry at Columbia Point involved a wide variety of experiences. First of which was working with the 7 major denominations in dialogue and debate about the ministry to urban areas of Boston, especially at Columbia Point. Second, in development of a local church fellowship, know as the Columbia Point Christian Center, which was a drop in center for youth, a worship center, and counselling and referral program. The development of a Christian Education program for 4th- 8th graders, on a release time basis during the week days. We taught over 350 different youth each week in homes of residents through the school year. I worked closely with neighbors, and as a resident of Columbia Point, on issues of welfare, housing, drug rehabilitation, youth work, and programs to develop the family units, and individuals.

I directed a Drug Education and counseling program for three years. Then co-founded the Columbia Point Alcoholism Program for treatment and education in public housing projects. Served as President, and Board member for 7 years with a federal budget of over $300,000 each year.

In 1976 I completed my Doctorate of Ministry(D.Min.) at Andover Newton, and then became the Protestant Chaplain of Boston City Hospital. My primary ministry there is with patients, staff, and family members. Also responsible to train seminarians and Pastors through the Clinical Pastoral Education program, and in that capacity am an adjunct faculty member at Andover Newton. I am a Supervisor of Field Education students from Harvard Divinity School, the Franciscan Friary , Gordon-Conwell Seminary and Andover Newton.

I joined Second Church in 1977i and became the Associate Pastor in 1983* I am active with several committees, such as Pastoral Search, Church Committee, Nominating Comm, Teaching Parish Comm., and Mission Comm.

I was married in 1933 to Martha, and we have three children, Melanie(6), Chris (3), and Cynthia (few months). We live in our own two family house, with my father. Martha is a florist, who works at Kuppersmith Florist in Cambridge.

85 Brent Street Dorchester, Mass. 02124


Joseph B. Lomba was born on September 20, 1930 in Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of mainland Portugal. My mother is Auta, and father is Manuel. I have a brother, John, and two sisters, Zinha and Maria. I was baptized and became a member of the Church of Nazarene in Cape Verde.

Zenaide Nunes was born on May 11, 1935 in Cape Verde Islands. My mother is Lydia, and my father is Joao. I have four brothers and six sisters.

While living in their native land Joseph attended and completed the equivalent of a high school education. Though an accomplished soccer player and vocalist, Mr. Lomba1s strong family orientation brought him to a keen interest in religion. His employment was varied, but consistent-he worked in the trades wherever there was work. It was through this mobile work activity that he met and married Zenaide Nunes.

Joe and Zenaide had six children while in their native land, and like so many countless millions before them felt the call to "Come to America"? In 1962 the Lomba family, which now numbered eight, arrived in Nww York. It was somewhat of a shock because the children were wearing shorts and it was snowing? their first time seeing snow.... "Welcome to America".

They settled in Boston and lived in a five room apartment where they had two more children. Joseph started employment with Eastern Steel Rack Company in 1962, and has risen through the ranks to the level of management. He has been with Eastern Steel for 23 years. Zenaide being an accomplished seamstress has been with Tammy Sportswear Inc., also for 23 years. In addition she does private commissioned work out of her home. In 1967 they bought their first home where they are still residing.

Their children are:
Ruben, and his wife, Edna, and their children, Adam Eric and Richard.
Rachel, and her husband Frank, with two children, Mark and Suzette.
John, and his wife Barbara, and three children, Kristina, Joseph, and Kenneth.
Maria, and her husband Sylvio, and their children, Nicholas and Oliver.
Neite, and her daughter Rachel.
Adalgiza, and her husband John, and their daughter Lillian. Kenneth and his wife Karen, and their son, Christopher. Kevin, age 16.

All our children are living in Massachusetts and successful.

Our Religious Life began with membership in the Church of Nazarene, and their choir, in Portugal. We both are members of Second Church, where Joseph serves as a deacon. Zenaide serves on the Hospitality Committee. Our favorite writers and speakers are Billy Graham, and Jim and Tammy Bakker of P.T.L.

Our hobbies and interestst

Joseph enjoys wrestling, soccer, hockey, basketball, travel and carpentry. Zenaide enjoys Bingo, sewing, and imports domestic articles.

Our travels include Lisbon, Portugal, (Cape Verde Islands) Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, Canada and New England.

We enjoyed most during our travel the time we spent in our homeland, Cape Verde Islands, with friends and old relatives. We looked back on fond memories at the beach - Fijon D'Aqua- with both its magnificence and simple beauty. We do plan on returning to our homeland again. We still have many relatives there*

61 Lithgow Street Dorchester, Ma, 02124


I was born in the Homeopathic Hospital( later Mass, Memorial, and now the University Hospital) on Sept. 27, 1917. My parents at that time lived in the Meeting House Hill section of Dorchester, very near St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and the First Parish Church, My father, John Ezra Lothrop, the oldest boy and second child in a family of ten, was born in Stone ham, Mass. My mother, Amy Neumann Lothrop, was born in Woburn, Mass., the oldest girl and second child in a family of six. Both parents had to go to work early, to help earn money to support the younger ones. Family roots go back mostly to England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and Sweden. Two Lothrop brothers came over from England in 1634 and landed at Barnstable, Mass. My father always joked that one became rich and one was poor- we were descended from the poor one, the minister. The name, in Old English, means "low thorp" or "low village".

My brother, John Winston, fourteen months younger than me, was shy and sickly in his very young days, but grew up to be healthy and active in school, church and neighborhood goings-on. He went to college to become an industrial arts teacher, but disliked teaching. After one year at Arlington High, he left and worked in the printing business, married, and answered a newspaper ad for a job at Polaroid. He worked there for about 40 years, mostly as "Research Machinist Assigned to Dr. Land"- helping, make models for new inventions and using his electricity, sheet metal, machine shop, and woodworking(industrial arts specialties) in the job. He is now retired, happy working on his antique cars, and living in Windham, N.H. He, and his wife, Annabel, see their four children - in Maine, Hew Hampshire,' Texas and Germany -yearly or oftener. He was sent to Scotland by Polaroid several summers to make waterproof containers for Polaroid cameras in the search for the Loch Ness monster!
My sister Amy or "Sally", three years younger than me, had a business-school education, but is also retired from Polaroid, where she was Chief Camera Repairman. One of her chief assignments was being sent to Japan for eleven weeks, to help workers there write a repair manual. She and an incapacitated friend, a former chemist at Polaroid, Phoebe Jordan, had a 5-room house built for them in Sebring, Florida.

After attending the John Marshall School (with Mary Milne and Muriel Davis) and the Grover Cleveland School. I attended and graduated from Dorchester High School for Girls(the yellow brick building just across the street from Second Church). In a five-minute "guidance" interview in my Senior year, the counsellor, Miss Shepherd, said, "You had an 'A' in sewing-why don't you go to Framingham State?" When I explained that, in those depression days, my father could hardly give me a nickel for transportation on cold days, or money for fabric to make a dress in sewing class( we had to work on embroidered sleeves for the queenly headmaster's special clothes, if we didn't have .our own ? fabric;, she suggested Boston Clerical School, a business training school that was free to residents of Boston. After the 3-year secretarial course and two part-time jobs, I was hired from the Civil Service list as a Jr. Clerk and Stenographer at the M.D.C. Six years later, with much experience in purchasing and accounts payable, I joined the Coast Guard Women's Reserve: SPARS. My eighteen months' service, as an Apprentice Seaman and as a yeoman, was all spent in Florida? West Palm Beach, Miami, Tampa and St. Pete.
Then back to Boston for one year at Stenotype (machine shorthand, used for court reporting) school, followed by a delightful year and a half as secretary to the Advertising Manager at Walter Baker Chocolate and Cocoa Division, in Dorchester Lower Mills. Finally, at age 31 I was accepted as a freshman at Simmons College in Boston under the G.I. Bill.

After graduation I taught at Simmons for five years, and earned a Master's degree from Columbia University in four summers. Then came two years at the Boston Statler Hilton as a food supervisor, mostly working nights and week-ends; five years as a textbook editor (English and home economics books) at D.C.Heath and Co, - now a part of Raytheon} and fourteen months of selling gourmet-type food products to schools and restaurants in New England- with my first car. My last job before early retirement was teaching, mostly Special Education majors and nurses, at Fitchburg State College for eleven years.

Neither parent was particularly religious, although my mother had attended Unitarian-Universalist Sunday School when she lived with an aunt after her father died, from about age 10-15. My father never went to church, but said they were not allowed to play cards at home. Of my 31 cousins, 7 are Roman Catholic, I Jewish, 1 Mormon and the rest Protestant. When I was five, I was invited by a 4 1/2-year-old neighbor to attend Central Congregational :Church Sunday School with her. I attended Sunday School, Jr., and Intermediate Christian Endeavor, Loyal Temperance Legion, Girl Scouts, and the choir there. I joined the Church on Maunday Thursday at age sixteen, taught Sunday School, and was Church clerk there for about its last ten years, until Central merged with Second Church in February,1973. I was baptized, too, in 1933? when my brother and I joined the Church. Dr. Albert Schweitzer is one of my favorite religious, and many-faceted, people.

Hobbies seem to run to collecting! cook-books ( over 2,500)? postcards, stamps, a few dolls and coins. I never seem to have time for sorting and enjoying the "things". Travel, photography, and crafts (silversmithing, embroidery, stained glass, leatherwork) are other hobbies I have enjoyed. I have crossed the U.S.A., or Canada three or four times, by bus, train, and driving. And I have driven to Pennsylvania, Florida, Chicago, Montreal and many other northeastern states and cities. Also, I have been to Europe three times, during my working days, by five different ships. No flying yet! Scotland, France, England, Switzerland and Finland were all favorite countries and places where I visited friends in their homes. If I had to choose one, I guess, it would be Switzerland, partly because of the wonderful couple I knew there, and because of the Girl Scout Chalet in Adelboden. Millicent Townsend and I drove to Dallas and Mexico in 1964. Interesting to see, but Mexico was not among my favorite places.
Camp Andover was a pleasant two-week experience in my young life, when I was 13, and later I went week-ends to work with Girl Scout Brownies at Camp Wheaton Byers in Waltham and a summer or two at the New Haven Girl Scout camp in Connecticut.

For the last five years my vacation has been a week at Elderhostel - an interesting, non-credit program of three courses, with meals and recreation, at any of about 400 colleges around the world. So far I have been to Gwynnedd, Pa., Chicopee, Ma., Henniker, N.H., Providence, R.I., and Alfred, Maine.

Right now I am trying to spend two full days a week with my mother's younger sister in Springfield. She is 89, and probably has Alzheimer's Disease, but doesn't want to go into a nursing home yet. She lives alone in a one-bedroom apartment, has a home health aide, and a; physical therapist comes one day a week.

For most of my life I lived in Dorchester. In 1965 I took a room in Fitchburg (to be near the college) but kept my Dorchester apartment. In 1966 I moved up to West Townsend, about fifty miles from Boston. Usually I spend Saturday night with a friend in Milton, so I can get to Second Church regularly.

441 Main Street
P.O. Box 212
West Townsend, Ma. 0l4?4


I was the second daughter born on July 6th, in Natick, Massachusetts to Mary and Robert Robertson. My sister, Helen, was three years old at the time. We lived in Wellesley Hills and I was christened in the Natick Congregational Church.

When I was 2? years old my parents took my sister and I to visit my father's family in Aberdeen, Scotland, from where both my mother and father emigrated to America in 190

Returning to Boston, we lived for a short time on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston, and then moved to Roxbury, where we lived for 23 years. During that time we became members of the Dudley Street Baptist Church in Roxbury, becoming active in diverse activities- Sunday School, young people's groups, pageants, plays, Girl Scouts, musical programs, and social events. Dudley Street Baptist Church played a large part in my growing-up years, along with my school activities- glee club, orchestra, and Senior Class Council. And violin and dancing lessons, which my mother urged me to participate in. I credit Dudley Street Baptist Church for giving me this great outlet for activities, but most of all my mother's and father's guidance.
I graduated from Roxbury Memorial High School in June, 1935 and in January, 1936 I went to work at M. Steinert and Sons., Inc., Boston, as a stenographer with varied responsibilities- cashier, and some bookkeeping- where I stayed for almost seven years.

At the age of 18 years my mother wanted me to study voice. I had two years with .a private teacher and then studied five years at the New England Conservatory in Boston. At this time they got me a position as paid choir singer at Leyden Congregational Church in Brookline.

In 1939 I met my future husband, Donald H. MacAskill, from the Roxbury Presbyterian Church. We were married in June 24, 1942 at Leyden Congregational Church by Dr. Robert Wood Coe, after my husband had enlisted in the Army in March of 1942. He became a 2nd Lieutenant at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in December, 1942. Our first son , Stephen, was born in April, 1943, and my husband was shipped overseas to the ETO in October, 1943. He returned home August, 1945 after World War II was over.

We lived in Melrose for four years with my parents. My father was sexton at the First Congregational Church in Melrose. During this time our second son, Terry, was born in September, 1946, and our third son, Peter, was born in January, 1948. We moved back to Roxbury in 1948 where our fourth son, Richard, was born in December, 1949. Our first daughter, Kristin, was born in July, 1952, and our fifth son, Bruce, in May 1954.

In 1955 we moved to Dorchester where we lived for 17 years. All of us joined Second Church in Dorchester* The children were active in Sunday School, and were in the Junior Choir. Kristin was a Sunday School teacher. I became a member of the Senior Choir and later was alto soloist for several years. I was also active in Boy Scout events, helped at the Living Pictures, Christmas Pageants, a member of the Religious Education committee, and President of the Philathea Class.

Beginning in 1961 my sons entered the military. Stephen in 19 61 in the Marines, Terry in 1964 in the Navy, Peter in 1967 in the Air Force, Richard in 1967 in the Army, and Bruce in 1972 in the Army. Terry, Peter, and Richard all served in Vietnam one after another for four years starting in 1966 through 1970. Terry had two tours of duty on the aircraft carrier Constellation, and all came home safely. My husband, Donald, died in December, 1971.

I worked part-time starting in 1957 at an insurance company, then a trademark research company, a radio parts company, and then in October, 1973 I went to work full-time for Stone and Webster Engineering Company. I worked there as a word processing operator and typesetter, retiring on April 26, 1985.

Stephen* Terry, Peter and Bruce are all married, and I have 11 grandchildren ( 3 boys and 8 girls) ranging in age from 2$ years to one month. They are Paul, Michael, Deborah, Kim Marie, Heather, Scott, Shelley, Jama, Teri Kristin, Brianne, and Allison.

My sister and I started traveling after our children were grown and on their own. Our first big trip was to Scotland in 1973 to visit our relatives and we went back there again in 1976 and in 1982. Another big trip was to Germany, Switzerland, and Austria which included the Passion Play of Oberanmergau in 1980. Other small trips have been to Washington, D.C.; Amish Country, Pennsylvania; Williamsburg, Virginia1; Grand Canyon; Nova Scotia, Ottawa-Toronto-Niagara Palls-Montreal-Quebec, and the Canadian Rockies. I think this is what I enjoy most of all after my family and music.

1 Plover Road Quincy, Ma. 02169


I first entered this wonderful world on January 28, 1918 which was a heatless Monday* a day on which all businesses were closed in order to conserve fuel, as this was during World War I. My father was of English descent, and my mother was of Scotch-Irish background. I was the youngest of three sisters, two of whom have passed away. Virginia from leukemia and Barbara suddenly from a heart attack. Our family lived in Dorchester where I was brought up.

After graduating from Dorchester High School for Girls, I attended and graduated from Burdett College. I accepted a position at New England Mutual Life Insurance Company as a secretary. I worked in this capacity for two years. At that time a new division was formed to do title work under the jurisdiction of the Law Department. I was one of five selected to be trained for this work which was extremely interesting as well as challenging. I stayed with this Company for sixteen years until my marriage to James Milne. He was born and educated in Aberdeen, Scotland. His daughter, my step-daughter, presently lives in Virginia and works for a bank in Norfolk. Christine has a fifteen-year old adopted daughter, Cheryl.

My first introduction to Second Church was at age 10 when I joined Troop 10. I enjoyed the Girl Scout program and was fortunate to be able to attend Girl Scout Camp for a month for each of seven summers. Finally, I completed all the requirements necessary to earn the Eagle Award. At this point there were too many girls interested in joining the Troop; so Troop 9 was organized for the newer Scouts. Another girl and I were recruited to be in charge of this new Troop under the guidance of the Troop Ten leader. My sister, Virginia, organized a Troop 10 basketball team, and eventually I was good enough to play the center position. I was nicknamed "Hewie Long Paws" because I had such a long reach and could jump unusually high.

During World War II I trained at St. Margaret's Hospital as a Nurses' Aide. I volunteered two nights each week and five hours on Saturdays. When the program was discontinued at this hospital, I transferred to the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. There I worked only one evening each week. I found that this volunteer work was an extremely rewarding experience. Knowing that I had made someone more comfortable and happier gave me a great sense of satisfaction. I later volunteered to be an assistant leader in a Campfire Group in Canton. I stayed with this group for about three years when it disbanded due to lack of interest by the girls themselves.

I was baptized and received my religious training at Central Congregational Church. In 1973 this Church, due to lack of members, merged with Second Church, and my membership was automatically transferred. I have made many wonderful friends here. They were most supportive and kind when Jim passed away in 1983. This I shall always remember.

The most discouraging period of my life was after an unusual and exciting trip to Mexico. There I picked up a strange virus that took up "residence" in my blood. Since the doctors were unable to identify this virus, they were unable to prescribe any drugs that would cure me. As a result, I was incapacitated for more years than I care to remember. Jim had been dating me prior to my trip, and he stuck by me regardless of my unusual health problem. He never gave up hope that I would regain my health, and he gave me the will and the courage to look forward to better days. Against everyone's advice, doctors included, we were married before I was fully recovered.
Our marriage was one truly made in heaven. He was always kind, patient, and considerate. I can never remember his ever having a cross word with me. We thought alike; we enjoyed doing the same things; and whenever possible, we were always together. Our first and only home was 8 Ponkapoag Way in Canton where I still live with Heidi, my all-white cat. She is great company for me.

In 1961 Jim and I purchased an eighteen-acre farm in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, in the heart of the Finnish country. The house, which was a made-over barn, was in deplorable condition with no facilities whatsover. We spent eleven years remodeling- adding a bathroom and a kitchen - painting, wiring, etc., until we had a comfortable and cozy retreat where we could spend our week-ends enjoying the tranquility and peace of the hills. Although we put much effort and hard work into this project, we enjoyed doing it because we were together. We finally sold this house and purchased a beautifully landscaped modern home in Hancock, New Hampshire. From our picture window in the living room, we could sit and admire the beauty of the mountains in the distance. This was to be our retirement home. Again we worked very hard spending every week-end painting and papering all seven rooms* in addition to painting the exterior. After much discussion we decided that living in the country during the winter months was not for us; so we sold our retirement home, a wise decision which we never regretted.

My favorite hobby is gardening. I love growing vegetables, especially. They always taste so much better than those that one buys in the stores. Since I cannot eat all that I grow, I give much of it away. The rest I freeze for later consumption. My raspberry patch is my pride and joy. I give many pints of fresh berries away and also sell many. For three weeks in early summer I can be found almost every morning slaving over a hot stove making jam which I later donate to the Church Fairs. I enjoy all kinds of outside work - mowing, trimming, weeding, etc. I often start these chores feeling extremely tired. In no time at all, I am full of pep, vim and vigor. This is when I know that God's in his heaven - All's right with the world! I also like to cook and bake. Since I have been on my own, I do not have as much time for hobbies as I previously had. Maintaining my home seems to keep me extremely busy. From necessity I have learned to do many things, such as small plumbing jobs, painting, and even some electrical work- as one might say: a Jack of all trades but a master of none.

I have not traveled extensively. Most, but not all, of my traveling has been confined to the Eastern seaboard states from Maine to Virginia. My favorite state is New Hampshire, particularly the .. Monadnock Region where so far there is little commercialization-just nature at its best. Many years ago I took a Merchant and Miner cruise from Boston to Norfolk, Virginia. From there all passengers were taken on a sightseeing trip by bus to Washington,D.C. I also went on a week's Windjammer Cruise out of Camden, Maine, on a sailing schooner. We sailed around the tiny islands in Penobscot Bay. It was a different kind of vacation, a primitive one to say the least. Last year I flew to Bermuda where I stayed two weeks at Willowbank in Somerset. Bermuda is truly a fairyland with so many exotic tropical flowers and flowering trees, the ever so green lawns, and the blue, blue ocean. It was like being in another world.

My hope for the future is: for myself good health, for the Church growth, for our Country unity, and above all peace for the world.
8 Ponkapoag Road Canton, Ma. 02021


I was born in Quincy on Feb. 19* 1933? My mother, Helen P.(Johnson) Hayden died of a pulmonary embolism a few hours later. I was legally adopted by my maternal grandparents and brought up in Dorchester, living in the same house over 40 years! I had three uncles and an aunt whom I grew up knowing as brothers and sister. When I was 28 years old* I met my father, Walter Hayden, at his ?uncle? Charlie's 90th birthday party. We had started corresponding a few months earlier, after I had looked him up in the phone book! We went out to dinner on Sundays and got acquainted. I also got to know my paternal grandmother briefly and met my cousin June, who is the nearest thing to a sister I have, being just four years my senior. I can trace me ?roots? back to Miles Standish and John Alden, for whatever that's worth!

My aunt moved in with my grandparents and me after her husband died. After my grandparents died, she and I moved from Dorchester to Dad*3 house in 1974. She moved to Wollaston in November,1975 and on Jan.10, 1976 I married Ross Morrison. We were married in Richards Chapel by Dr. Jensen. I had known him for 24> years, having worked at the same company for 13 of those years. He had been one with whom I had shared my experience of meeting my father. Ross was born in Fitchburg, Mass., and moved around a lot because his father managed 5? and 100 stores. He lived in Newton, N.H. and went to school in Haverhill, Ma. He spent his teen years in Dorchester on Stockton Street and graduated from Dorchester High School for Boys. He worked at R.L. Day for over 35 years, retiring in 1980 after suffering a mild Stroke in March of that year* We went to Hawaii in 1981 to visit islands we had not seen on our honeymoon(when we just went to Oahu.) Ross suffered a Stroke while we were in Maui. This resulted in an almost three year up- and downhill struggle, which was very difficult for all of us. Ross went Home with the Lord on March 15, 1984. Dad and I are keeping home together at the present time.

To tell about favorite trips and vacation spots would take volumes. I have had "love affairs" with most places I have visited, and have found beauty everywhere. Hawaii, of course, tops the list and I will always love Maui* not only for its beauty, but for its people. Having to spend extra time there while Ross was hospitalized, gave me an opportunity to get to know some of them. I attended a service at a Lutheran Church the day before we left, and the congregation prayed for our trip home. I have made a small contribution to their building fund, and it makes me feel as though I "own" a tiny bit of the Island and share in their lives.

I remember many of those at Second Church who influenced me over the years? Mae Durkee, Eleanor Jago, Janet Robertson. Anne Meeken, George Buckman, George Peterson, Ethel Brooks, Isabel MacDonald, Catherine Baxter- to name just a few. There is always a danger in naming some, because one is Sound to forget someone* I especially remember Teachers1 and Officers1 Retreats at Farrington Memorial and taking part in the "Living Pictures".

I have attended other churches on Sunday evenings and been a member of young adult groups in Old South Church and Trinity Church in Boston. One highlight of these years was a retreat at Packard Manse in Stoughton, where out "textbook" was D. Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Disciple ship.1* For the past 12 years I have attended a Monday night Bible Class in Braintree led by Herbert Henry Ehrenstein, a renowned Bible Teacher from Songtime, Inc.,(heard on WROL 7-8 A.M. daily, if I can "plug" it 7. I presently attend Central Baptist Church in Quincy on Sunday evenings.

I continue to grow spiritually. I believe in the Bible as the inerrant Word of God and at times have difficulty with the liberalism in our denomination. I hope that Second Church will "call" a leader who will be a ?pastor-teacher? in the true Biblical sense. I pray that we will BE the Church and realize that the building is not the church, but is where the church meets.

17 Hyde Street Quincy, Ma. 02169

Another trip which was unique was the Saquenay River Cruise aboard the S.S. Richelieu in 1961. This went from Chicoutimi to Quebec City with ports of call at Tadoussac and Murray Bay. I kept in touch with our waitress and years later stayed at her home on the outskirts of Montreal while visiting EXPO. Bermuda, Colorado, Phoenix, and Pennsylvania Dutch Country also evoke fond memories. I am presently planning a 7-day Christian Cruise Conference going from Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera.

I was educated at Robert Swan, Emily Fifield, and Frank V. Thompson Schools, Dorchester High School for Girls, and Boston Clerical School. I took some University Extension courses in Psychology and Literature.

My first full time job was with R.L. Day and Co., which later became Tucker* Anthony and R.L. Day. Over the 13 years employed there, I did many various jobs for them, including: typing, teletype, billing, switchboard, etc. I left R.L. Day to go to work at Linenthal, Becker and Eisenberg, Consulting Engineers, a job which lasted only nine months. From there I went to Wentworth Institute of Technology, where I still am employed as an Executive Secretary. It will be 20 years in November.

I like to keep snapshot albums, diaries, clippings, etc., and have great plans to get them all organized some day! I like to go out to eat, to travel, and to watch old movies on T.V.

I was baptized as an infant at Stanton Avenue Methodist Church and attended Sunday School there from K through 6th grade. Don Robblee was my 4th grade teacher! At the age of 14 I came to Second Church. After attending Pastor's Class, I became a member on Palm Sunday, 1948. I was in the Jr. and Sr. Choirs, and belonged to Jr. and Sr. Christian Endeavor and subsequent youth groups. I have served on the Religious Education and Missionary Committees; as Primary Dept. Supt. and as Sunday School teacher. I was also Church Clerk for a brief period. I joined the Philathea Class and served as President and Secretary. I served as delegate to Metropolitan Boston Association and City Missionary Society and attended many conference meetings.


I was born in Arbroath, a small fishing town in north-east Scotland, bordering the North Sea. Sixty-five years passed before I returned to visit, and I found it has become a tourist attraction. I was baptized at birth in Arbroath. My mother, Elizabeth Robertson, and my father, Alexander Robb, were both born in Arbroath, Scotland. Their clan and tartan are Robertson's (Robb, my maiden name, is a derivative of Robertson).

My father emigrated to Boston in 1912. He sent our passage money twice, and my mother used it for living expenses. The third time he sent tickets and we left on the Mauretani for America on July 21, 1915? I was only ten years old. We arrived in Boston, via Montreal and Quebec on August 10th. Two events are stand-outs for me on that ten-day voyage. I was sea-sick only once, on my tenth birthday, and we wore life belts, ordered when we sighted 2 U-Boats in the mid-Atlantic.

I had five brothers, and three sisters. Two sisters -died in early childhood. There names are: Mary Ann, William, Frances, Alexander, John, Fred, Elizabeth and Norman. We lived on the border line of Roxbury, in Jamaica Plain, and I attended the Lowell School on Center and Mozart Streets. I was enrolled in the Jfth grade. I had to learn dollars and cents, and the "Palmer" method.

To a ten-year old kid the fantasy of streets paved with gold, and servants to wait on you seemed feasible - but oh! what an awakening. This was depression times and every one had to scramble for a living. My father - a boiler-maker by trade - was hired as a stone cutter, and was so good at it that he worked there most of his life.

After graduating from Lowell Elementary I signed up for Jamaica Plain High, but went to work that summer in the Miller Candy Factory. No high school for me! Next Fall I went to work in Plant's Shoe Factory. When work got scarce for piece workers I left to work in Roxbury Telephone Exchange, for six months. I quit because I had to work a split shift. I knew people had to eat, so I turned to restaurant work. I worked in Thompson's Spa, on South Street, until I got married in 1936.

My husband was a sheet metal worker, and was a good providor for me and our three children, who are Russell, Marie and William (Billy). Russ attended Woodrow Wilson and Dot High. He worked for Stone and Webster, and then another Engineering Firm. He was married in 1965 to Helen.

Marie graduated from Girl's Latin, and became a graduate nurse of Children's Hospital. The terrible suffering and malformation of young children, after three years of caring for them, was more than she could bear. So then she continued her college years at Michigan State, graduated and went on to Boston University. Then she taught grades between kindergarten and third grades after she got married. She later taught hyper-active children. She has a daughter(12) and a son (8).

Billy graduated from Woodrow Wilson, Dot High and Northeastern University. He worked for Anderson Nichol Company. He is now with Charles T. Main, and travels on projects, many which have been in Kuwait, Teheran, Japan, and other places. He is married with eight children, which makes me a grand-mother of ten.

I attended Highland Congregational Church, Roxbury; Christ Church (non-member), and Second Church, then Dorchester Temple Baptist Church (non-member), and then joined Second Church in 1980. At Second Church I am a member of the Women's Association, and the Hospitality Committee.

Other activities include being a member of the V.I.P.'s Senior Citizens; Nepco Senior Citizens; and St. Mark's Senior Citizens. I like to read novels, and Masterpieces, like Treasure Island and Jane Eyre; and to crochet, knit and do crosswords.

When my husband was alive he liked to drive, and we have been tot Niagara Falls, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire, Florida and St. Petersburg. A return visit was made to my home town in Scotland six years ago. I liked best the trips to New York at Christmas-time* Pleasant memories include my children growing up, family trips and friendly neighbors.

We lived in Roxbury until I got married. Then the rest of my life was in parts of Dorchester: on Florida Street for two years; Savin Hill by Malibu for two years; Dorchester Avenue for fourteen years; Pleasant Street for fourteen years; and Welles Avenue for the last 14 years*

Temporary address: c/o Agnes Bliss
3 Msgr. Lydon Way
Dorchester, Ma. 02124


I am proud to say that my family tree, on my mother's side, traces our lineage back to Elder William Brewster who came in the Mayflower to Plymouth in 1620. At the Manor House of his father, in Scrooby, England, he had organized the first Puritan Church (Congregational) in 1602. Fifteen "Religious Outlaws" as they were called met in the Manor House and began the movement that resulted in the Plymouth Colony and the high civilization which we have enjoyed in North America*

My mother came from Woodstock, Vermont. Her name was Minnie Hannah Lord. My father came from Morrisville, Vermont. His name was Glyndon Harry Smith. They came to Massachusetts to make a better living, than they could in Vermont, and settled in Dorchester.
I am one of eight children, Dorothy was born first, and died as a child. Then there was Lorna, Harry, Stanley, Caroline, and Marjorie, my twin sister. It was a "miracle" that we both lived because between the two of us we weighed only five pounds. All were born at home.

When I was of primary and grammar school age we lived on Draper Street, and all walked to the Mather School. We attended the Central Congregational Church for Sunday School, Sunday morning and evening services, Christian Endeavor, and mid-week services. In those days the church was very active and always full of worshippers.
In 1923 we moved to Center Street, and I remember Second Church as always being full for services, including the balcony. I was baptised and joined Second Church on April the 12th, in 1925* Dr. Dabney was the Pastor and he was dearly loved by all. Two years later we moved to Seaborn Street where I still reside.

I am a member of the Hospitality Committee, Chairman of the Nominating Committee, member of the Craft Class, Phi Sigma Phi-Philathea, and belong to the NEPCO Club.

I like to knit, needle point and hooking, and most of all love to travel. My nicest experience was travel to Florida. I had never been on an airplane before and enjoyed every minute. We saw all we could, had fun shopping, so we could return with gifts for every one.
I have a part-time job taking care of an elderly woman who is bed-ridden, never complains, always cheerful, and happy. I enjoy being a help to her. I am sure that both she and her husband appreciate my assistance.

This concludes my story for the time being.
8 Seaborn Street Dorchester, Mass. 02124


My parents were from Jamaica, West Indies. My mother was Hilda Christain, and my father was Alfred Thomas. There were nine children, six have been deceased. Their names are: Tesinta, Ralph, Clara, Alfred, Doris, Sislyn, Edmund, Donald and Constant.
My brother, Donald, resides in Jamaica and is an accountant. My sister, Constant lives in Jamaica, where she is a housewife.
My Religious Life: I was baptized at Torrington Christian Church in Jamaica as an infant. During my youth I participated in Sunday School and other activities connected to the church.

My vocational history consisted of being a tailor and presser at different establishments in Jamaica and the United States( in Connecticut, Miami, and Boston).

My education consisted of elementary and trade school training* When I came to Boston I became a member of the Tremont Street Methodist Church, but now that I am living in Mattapan I decided to become a member of the Second Church and join in worship for Christ. In 1975 I "as made a deacon.

My favorite book of the Bible is the Psalms.

In sports, my favorite interests are baseball and cricket. In all my travels that I have experienced my place to live is Jamaica because it holds lots of good memories and friends which I will always hold dear to me.

Presently my activities consist of reading, listening to radio, especially sports programs and talk shows which keep me in touch with the world. My future hope is to live a long healthy and happy life with God's help.

Alfred Thomas
973 Morton Street Mattapan, Ma. 02126


My mother was born in South Berwick* Maine, and my father in York, Maine. My father spent most of his life in No. Berwick, Maine, where he was known as Popie to many. His name was Alan, but also called Allie. My mother was Theresa Crabtree, and she died very young at the age of 28, in 1918.

I was born in No. Berwick, Maine on February 11th, 1912 at home. About 2? years later my brother, John, was born on June 7th, 1914. He has always lived in No. Berwick. After my mother died we lived for two years with our grandparents. Then my father remarried and we went to live with him and my step-mother.

I have eleven grandchildren ranging in ages from 3 years to 18 years. Michael, Barbara* Linda, and Jonathan Forbes. David, Richard and Deborah Bennett. Francis, Peter, Angela and Earl Spetrini.
I attended school in No. Berwick, and graduated from grammar school, and went a few years to high school. In the summer I went to Vacation Bible School for three weeks, where we made items to send to poor children abroad. We had worship and Bible study. I did a lot of baby-sitting, and picked any food that would sell. My first job was in the woolen mill in North Berwick. I worked there for two years, then things got rough, as it was the beginning of the depression years.
I did housework in many places. After a few years of that I went to Canton, Mass., and worked at the Hospital School for Crippled Children. There I stayed for two years, working one year as cook for 30 boys and five helpers. And then a waitress in the District Nurses' Dining room.

It was while I was working in Methuen that I started going with Earl. We were married in Lawrence on April 16th, 19*H. We had four children! David, Joyce, Theresa and Laura.

I have been going to church as long as I can remember, as I joined the Congregational Church in No. Berwick when I was 18 years old, and joined Second Church in Dorchester in 19^4. I didn't have time to be very active with five children, and I was working fifteen years on week-ends.

In 197^ I became Chairperson of the Hospitality Committee. It is one of my favorite activities. My favorite hobbies are knitting and reading. I am interested in cleaning up crime, and making our neighborhoods and streets safe. I have been active in civic affairs for the last 15 years.

19 Shafter Street Dorchester, Ma. 02121


It was November at Clementine Park, Dorchester, 63 years-.ago. Preparations for the Thanksgiving feast on the morrow were underway. All the family, parents, grandparents, and sister were engaged in the domestic chores and pleasures of a New England Thanksgiving eve. I wanted to be a part also and so I made my appearance. I don't know what happened to the Thanksgiving plans but I am to this day very fond of mince meat pie.

Growing up in Dorchester seemed normal to me. A subway was the means of transportation; activity centered around home, school, and church, all within walking distance} family meals were scheduled around my father's work; and vacations were spent together. The Elbridge Smith school (now the Patrick O'Hearn), Mary Hemenway (bulldozed), the Woodrow Wilson, and the yellow brick building at the top of the hill, Dorchester High School for Girls (now slated for condos) provided me with an unsurpassed educational foundation allowing me to enter and graduate from Framingham State College.

Dormitory and campus life and the educational challenges of a degree-granting four years college broadened my horizons. During college, my Second Church Christian educational background aided me in initiating and conducting non-denominational morning worship in the dormitory for three years. After graduation my desire to follow Christ's admonition ?Go, and do likewise.?1, sustained my efforts to teach in the public schools of Massachusetts for thirty-one years. Renewing my quest for moral and spiritual personal growth, my Master's degree study was done at Boston University as a full-time student. The degree thesis, A Public Relations Program for Congregational Christian Churches is on file. Everyday held its challenge, demands, and never without the reward of human warmth in the sharing and striving for reachable goals.

Without much ado or previous planning, after the normal life experiences had entered the family circle, and the plateau of my career had perhaps been reached, a new challenge was set before me. I feel God's infinite wisdom had a part in the new career of wife and homemaker. Gardner and I were married in 1969 at the Wayside Inn in South Hadley, MA.

Resigning my position, I moved to West Springfield to enable Gardner to continue his employment and to become a part of a new community. Only a year later, a large national conglomerate absorbed Gardner's company and phased into nothingness all older workers.

We returned to Boston (since my house had not been sold, and the West Springfield house was readily salable) and both went about seeking employment. Doors were opened to us, and for a few years the newly-weds experienced the problems of a working wife, a husband's irregular hours, replacement of faulty oil burners, plumbing renovations, older car failures, adjusting to each other, and living with two complete sets of furniture in five rooms. Time was kind. A larger apartment was available, a new car was possible, working hours stabilized, and life became a little more relaxed.

Computer technology, laser beams, nuclear energy, monorails, and medical advances have not affected my life greatly, nor do I expect these developments to make much change in me. It is a poem by William Cullen Bryant, learned in high school, which has had an affect on my life and may even have a greater influence on my future outlook. When the Master has finished with my life on earth and I no longer can do His biding, I hope to "join that innumerable caravan that moves to that mysterious realm...and lie down to pleasant dreams," in that house not made with hands, not temporal, but eternal.

27 Clementine Park Dorchester, Mass. 02124

Related Images: showing 8 of 50 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 50 images.
Second Congregational ChurchSecond Congregational ChurchSecond Church 1898J.J. Arakelyan
Henry S. BabbittSecond ChurchSecond ChurchSecond Church
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: October 13, 2008   Modified: October 13, 2008