| Christ Church
Click image for more information
Christ Church of Dorchester was organized May 13,1852 as the Third Unitarian Society, and was known from 1875 to 1894 as the Harrison Square Unitarian Church. Its building was located at the corner of Neponset Avenue and Mill Street. It re-located to the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Dix Streets.
The 1894 Bromley atlas shows the Harrison Sq. P.E. [sic] Church on the site at the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Dix Streets. No building appears at this site on the 1889 map. The Boston Landmarks Commission's neighborhood description for King Square states that the building was built in 1894.
The building was designed by Edwin J. Lewis, Jr., who lived at 597 Adams Street. The original design included a tower that was never built. Lewis is most famous for his residential architecture and some of his designs are located in Dorchester at 15 & 22 Carruth Street, 12 Alban Street, 12, 60, and 75 Ocean Street.
In 1930 the Minister was Robert Allen Singsen
For more information, consult:
Dorchester Old and New, 1630-1930. Dorchester: Chapple Publishing Company for the Dorchester, Massachusetts, Tercentenary Committee, 1930.
Shand Tucci, Douglass. The Gothic Churches of Dorchester. Issued by the Dorchester Savings Bank. Boston: Tribune Publishing Company, 1972.