| St. Ambrose's parish was created on December 7, 1914, from the southeastern part of St. Peter's territory with Father John H. Harrigan as pastor. The large Gothic Revival church was built in 1920 and was designed by W.H. McGinty, a resident of Percival Street. Located at 240 Adams Street, it was of red brick and granite and had two equal western towers. It burned in January 1984 and was replaced.
Click image for more information
Per William Buckingham, a Dorchester resident and architect, the architect for the new St. Ambrose Church was Dennis H. Keefe of Keefe Associates Inc.
For more information, consult:
Dorchester Old and New, 1630-1930. Dorchester: Chapple Pulishing Company for the Dorchester, Massachusetts, Tercentary Committee, 1930.
Lord, Robert H., John E. Sexton and Edward T. Harrington. History of the Archdiocese of Boston. New York: Sheed & Ward, 1944. 3 vols.
Shand Tucci, Douglass. The Gothic Churches of Dorchester. Issued by the Dorchester Savings Bank. Boston: Tribune Publishing Company, 1972.