Dorchester Atheneum
Monday, December 18, 2017
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
   > Dorchester High School
   > Gibson School
   > Harris School
   > Home School for Young Ladies
   > Industrial School for Girls
   > More on Schools..
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Dorchester High School
First High School
Click image for more information
 "In 1850 the subject of a high school was again agitated, --this time with more success. One hundred and eighty-three tax-payers of the town signed a petition asking the school committee 'to recommend to the town the immediate establishment of a high school.' This petition was discussed and reflected upon for two years, when action was finally taken. The sum of six thousand dollars was appropriated with which to erect a building, the location selected being on the School Pasture property, on the westerly side of South Boston and Dorchester turnpike, a little north of Centre Street. This spot was selected as being the most central position. Note that Dorchester Old and New says that the high school was established in a building on Dorchester Avenue at Gibson Street. Later a much larger building on Dorchester Avenue at Center Street was occupied. The picture at the upper right of this age is presumably the building at Gibson Street.

The school was organized in December, 1852, with a membership of fifty-nine pupils of both sexes, representing the Everett, Mather, Adams, Gibson, Winthrop, Norfolk, and private schools. The first principal was William J. Rolfe, the present Shakespearean authority, who held the position for four years. Mr. Rolfe's successor was Jonathan Kimball, who remained for nine years. Elbridge Smith, the third master, was in charge of the school for the long period of twenty-four years, during which time he established a reputation which was second to that of no other Dorchester teacher. The present [1891 ] incumbent is Charles J. Lincoln, who was Mr. Smith's immediate successor."

Source: Orcutt, William Dana. Good Old Dorchester: A Narrative History of the Town, 1630-1893. Cambridge: The University Press, 1908 [c.1891]

Second High School Building
Second High School
Click image for more information
 The second high school, which was located at the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Centre Street, was used as the high school until the high school building that was later known as the Latin School was constructed at Codman Square in 1900. After that time the older building was used as a school for lower grades. This School was named the Elbridge Smith School for the third master of the high school who served 24 years. It was replaced by the Patrick OHearn School in 1957.

Second Dorchester High School

entry from

Boston. Annual Report of the School Committee of the City of Boston. 1888. (Boston, 1889), 50.

Dorchester High School.--This school was established in 1852. Before the annexation of the town to Boston, the accommodations of the old schoolhouse were insufficient to meet the increased demands of the school, and a new building was in process of erection oat the time of annexation. The new building was completed and occupied in September, 1870.


Third High School Building
Dorchester High School No. 6946
Click image for more information
 The third high school building is located at the corner of Talbot Avenue and Centre Street. Designed by Hartwell, Richardson and Driver and built in 1900, it later became Dorchester High School for Girls, later Girls' Latin School, later Boston Latin Academy and now Latin Academy Apartments.



Related Images: showing 8 of 27 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 27 images.
Codman Square and Dorchester High SchoolDorchester High School No. 6946Dorchester High School, Dorchester, Mass. E6430Dorchester High School
Codman Square from the westDorchester High School for Girls, Talbot AvenueDorchester High School, Peacevale RoadDorchester High School girls's gym class about 1901
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: August 3, 2003   Modified: January 19, 2017