| Mrs. S. M. Cochrane from Codman Hill, Dorchester, proposed in September, 1867, to receive at her residence a limited number of Young Ladies, to whom systematic instruction "will be given in the elementary and higher English branches, with Latin, Modern Languages, Vocal and Instrumental Music; also, Drawing and Painting."
Click image for more information
Mrs. Cochrane outlined the design of school: "to mark out a course of study for each pupil adapted to her general abilities, which will develope [sic] latent faculties, as well as stimulate a taste for study already formed. Regular hours of study, as well as of exercise and recreation, will be alloted to each member of the School."
Each young lady was required to provide herself with silver fork and spoons, napkins, towels, pillow cases and sheets, India rubbers and umbrella. The cost of the year consisting of 40 weeks including board was $450. Instruction in Music, Painting and Modern Languages other than French incurred an extra charge.
Source: Brochure issued by Mrs. S. M. Cochrane.
Note that Mrs. Charlotte Cochrane lived in the Codman House and apparently owned it.