Dorchester Atheneum
Friday, August 14, 2020
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
   > Hayward's Gazetteer
   > Town Meeting
   > Codman Square
   > Sons of Liberty
   > Dorchester Town Seal
   > Historical Sketch of Dorchester
   > The Dorchester District 1910
   > Lincoln's Visit to Dorchester
   > Dorchester Place Names
      > Pond Street
      > Englewood Diner
      > Barque Warwick Cove
      > Upham's Corner
      > Cedar Grove
      > Wellington Hill
      > Pope's Hill
      > Peabody Square
      > South Bay Mall site was once farms and wetlands article by Anthony Sammarco
      > Port Norfolk revisited
      > Grove Hall
      > Patten's Cove
      > The Story of Ashmont Hill
   > Dorchester Day
   > Witchcraft
   > Civil War
   > G.A.R. Annual Encampment 1892
   > Dorchester Turnpike
   > Brush Hill Turnpike
   > Dorchester Women
   > Sammarco La Belle Chocolatiere
   > Captain Peter Strickland
   > Plane Crash Lonsdale Street
   > Stories of Dorchester
   > Puddingstone
   > Ship Mary and John
   > Tour of Lower Mills
   > Tour of Clam Point
   > John White
   > Hurricane of 1938
   > Port Norfolk
   > Great Neck
   > Irish Immigrants
   > JFK Visit to Dorchester
   > Pear Sculpture Dedication June 16, 2007, Edward Everett Square
   > Ashmont Station 1890s to 19202
   > Trolley Car
   > Trolley Car 118 at Milton Car House
   > Local Square Named for Famous 19th Century Orator, Politician
   > Firefighting in 1793 article by Anthony Sammarco
   > Nineteenth Century Doctors
   > The Well-traveled History of Dorchester's Edward Everett Square
   > Dickens in Dorchester
   > Charles McCarthy Famous Ventriloquist
   > Franklin Field Once Served as Speedway
   > First Paper, Playing Cards in US
   > From Unquety to Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution
   > Lower Mills Grocery Store Served Needs of Growing Industrial Area
   > Time Reveals History of
   > Lower Mills Square Named after Chocolate Company Owner, Mayor
   > Early Milton Was an Industrial Beehive
   > 19th-century Pope's Hill Home to Wealthy Merchants, Famous Families
   > Boutwell St. on Pope's Hill Named after Mass. Governor
   > The Story of a Photograph
   > Heart of Dorchester
   > Andrew Carney, Benefactor of Carney Hospital, Was
   > The Evolution of Ashmont, a
   > Dorchester Generosity Provided Elder Care in South
   > Andrew Square Named after Abolitionist
   > Meetinghouse Hill Estate Became Park, Three-Decker Streets
   > 1899 S.B. Pierce Bulding Still a Flagship Building in Upham's Corner
   > Mount Bowdoin and Four Corners
   > Dorchester's
   > Savin Hill's Tuttle House: Yummy Chicken Dinners, Sleighrides at Hotel by the Sea
   > From Whale Oil to Gas Tanks
   > Neponset Fire Station
   > Intersection Neponset Avenue and Adams Street
   > Harvard Street fire station
   > River Street Fire Station
   > Three Decker Fire
   > Gamewell Fire Alarm
   > Neponset Circle
   > Zone of Emergence
   > Town Government by Selectmen: Keep Your Pigs Out of My Corn
   > Dorchester and Annexation
   > Life in Early Dorchester Included Perilous Jobs
   > Description of Dorchester by Hales 1821
   > Codman Square History by Richard Heath
   > Camp McKay - Italian Prisoner of War Camp
   > Dorchester Heights
   > It's Roger Clap's 400th Birthday
   > Bibliography of Sources for the study of the seventeenth century
   > Two Old Dorchester Houses
   > President Ronald Reagan's Visit to the Eire Pub
   > Peabody Square History
   > Robert Treat Paine's Philanthropic Housing in Dorchester: Bowdoin-Geneva
   > Muster and Trained Band
   > Mattapan- the meaning
   > Dorchester Firsts
   > Annexation of Dorchester, Senate Bill no. 301
   > Dorchester High School for Boys on strike
   > Glovers Corner 1895
   > Peabody Square 1895
> Walking Tours

List of Dorchester Place Names through History
 Adams Corner, Adams Square, Adams Village, junction of Adams Street, Gallivan Boulevard, Granite Avenue, Minot Street

The Affy is town meeting square at the intersection of Pleasant, Cottage and Pond Streets. The little park, where the first meeting house supposedly stood in the 17th century, was the site of the Dorchester Atheneum in the 19th century. Perhaps the "Athy" became corrupted into the "Affy".

The Alicia-Mercier Neighborhood is the area west of Dorchester Avenue, south of Fuller Street and north of Gallivan Boulevard, bounded on the west by Washington Street.

Allen's Plain, the original name for both sides of Pleasant Street. Savin Hill Bay marshlands just to the east of winding Pleasant Street were filled in in 1800 for the building of a toll road called Dorchester Avenue that originated at the bridge at the current location of the Boston South Postal Annex. The road made its way over and through the hillocks and marsh to Lower Mills at Neponset River.

Almont Park, the neighborhood just southwest of Almont Street in Mattapan.

The Argonne, or the Arggy, is the area at Freeport Street and Dorchester Avenue behind Ned Kelly's Restaurant (originally named the Adelphia Cafe). The area was the mouth of a brook going into Savin Hill Bay by the railroad causeways. Kids used to skate in this marshland.

Ashmont can mean the area both to the west and east of Dorchester Avenue near Ashmont Street, including Ashmont Hill and Carruth's Hill.

Ashmont Hill, the hill bounded by Washington Street, Talbot Avenue and Ashmont Street.

Barque Warwick Cove, the cove just south of Commercial Point, most of which is now filled land.

Bowdoin Four Corners, junction of Bowdoin Street, Washington Street and Harvard Avenue

The Brookview Street Neighborhood is the name for the area west of Blue Hill Avenue, south of Franklin Park and north of Morton Street.

Carruth's Hill, the hill bounded by Ashmont Street, Dorchester Avenue, Adams Street and Gallivan Boulevard.

Cedar Grove, Gin Plain, the area abutting the Cedar Grove Cemetery on the north and east.

Charlotte-Esmond is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood east of Franklin Park, bounded on the north by Geneva Avenue and on the south by Talbot Avenue.

Cherry Valley, Blue Hill Avenue at Quincy Street near the old Drake's Bakery factory on the Roxbury side of the Avenue. The neighbors used to buy day-old Whoopie Pies at the factory. St. John's Catholic Church was well known in the Cherry Valley area. The area also had a large Jewish population. The Jewish merchants sold pickled herring from wood kegs on the sidewalks in front of their store. The people from Nova Scotia who lived in the area shopped on the Avenue because they loved salted fish and salted meats. Max Andrews was a popular delicatessen was located in that stretch of Blue Hill Avenue. Dacia Street, Wayland Street and Westmoreland Street were considered Cherry Valley.

Clam Point, the area between Fields Corner and Morrissey Boulevard. Its southern edge is Victory Road. This area used to be inclued in the Harrison Square area.

Codman Hill, the hill bounded by Washington Street, Gallivan Boulevard and Armandine Street.

Codman Square, Baker's Corner, the intersection of Washington Street, Talbot Avenue and Norfolk Street. By 1803 this intersection became known as Baker's Corner, taking its name from Dr. James Baker's store. The construction of the Second Church soon followed to serve a population grown too large for the First Church on Meeting House Hill. Town Hall was built in 1816 in the Square because of its central location, and Baker's Corner became known also as Dorchester Center. In 1848 the intersection was officially renamed Codman Square in honor of the Reverend John Codman who had died the year before, after ministering to the members of the Second Church for 39 years.

Collins Square, junction of Tonawanda and Greenbrier Streets.

Columbia Point or Calf Pasture, Mile Road Dump, Pumping Station.

Columbia Circle, the circle on Columbia Road at the entrance to Columbia Point.

The Columbia neighborhood is the term that has come to be used for the area east of Pleasant Street, north of Savin Hill Avenue and south of Columbia Road.

Commercial Point, Captain's Point, Preston's Point, the point of land where the Gas Tank is located.

Cracker Hollow, the intersection of Bowdoin Street and Geneva Avenue (formerly Green Street).

The Dix-Whitten Neighborhood is the area east of Dorchester Avenue, south of Park Street, west of Neponset Avenue and bordered on the south by Whitten Street.

Downer Square, the junction of Pleasant Street, Hancock Street, High Street and Downer Avenue. Originally Downer Square included the Kane Square area.

Eaton Square, the intersection of Bowdoin and Quincy Streets.

Edward Everett Square, the intersecton of Columbia Road, Massachusetts Avenue and Boston Street where Richardson Park is located.

Fields Corner, the intersection of Dorchester Avenue and Adams Street.

Fox Point, the point of land at the eastern end of Savin Hill.

Franklin Field, the playground at the intersection of Blue Hill Avenue and Talbot Avenue.

Franklin Hill, on west side of Blue Hill Avenue at junction of Talbot Avenue, opposite Franklin Field.

Franklin Park, a city park designed by Olmstead, technically not in Dorchester, but a part of Dorchester life since its creation.

Glover's Corner, the intersection of Dorchester Avenue and Freeport Street. Click here to see the pdf version of an article about Glover's Corner by Anthony Sammarco.

Grove Hall, the interesecton of Blue Hill Avenue and Washington Street. Click here to see the pdf version of an article about Grove Hall by Anthony Sammarco.

Harrison Square, an Old Colony railroad station east of Fields Corner but not as far as Commercial Point, built in 1840 and named for the recently-deceased President Benjamin Harrison. Harrison Square included what is now called Clam Point.

Jones Hill, the hill bounded by Hancock Street, Plesant Street, Columbia Road and Stoughton Street.

Kane Square, intersection of Hancock and Bowdoin Streets by the city yard. Anyone living on Trull Street, Cameron Street, High Street, Winter Street, Tovar Street or by the 'Hundred Steps" leading to the top of Jones Hill would say they lived at Kane Square. The square was named for Francis G. Kane who was killed in World War I. Until then this are was included in the Downer Square area. The American Legion Post, now a church, next to the firebarn by the Mather School was also named for Kane. The trolley cars from Dudley Street Station and Andrew Square Station used Kane Square as a terminal which would be encircled so the cars could return to Dudley or Andrew.

King Square, the junction of Adams Street and Neponset Avenue. Neponset Avenue is a relatively new road built at the eastern edge of Pope's Hill. Before it was built, the Neponset River marshland was almost up to St. Ann's Church at the intersection of Ashmont Street and Neponset Avenue. The contour of the land showing the tidal marsh can still be seen next to the firebarn opposite the Garvey Playground. The construction of Morrissey Boulevard and later the Expressway tended to wipe out the marshlands in the Tenean area.

Lindsey-Tonawanda is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood just west of Fields Corner and just south of Geneva Avenue.

Lower Mills or Pierce Square, the intersection of Washington Street, Dorchester Avenue and Adams Street at the Neponset River

Mattapan Square, the intersection of Blue Hill Avenue and River Street.

Meeting House Hill, the location of the First Church, at the intersection of Adams Street and Church Street and the intersection of Adams and East Streets.

Melville Park is the neighborhood east of Washington Street, west of Dorchester Avenue including Center Street, Melville Avenue and Park Street and the streets in between.

The Messinger Street Neighborhood is the area west of Blue Hill Avenue and Mattapan Square.

Mother's Rest, a park on the east side of Washington Street just south of Bowdoin Corners

Mount Bowdoin, the hill bounded by Bowdoin Street, Washington Street and Geneva Avenue.

Mt. Ida, Ronan Park, the park on the hill sloping southwest from Meeting House Hill.

Neponset, the southeastern part of Dorchester near Neponset Circle. At one time it included Port Norfolk.

Neponset Circle, the traffic circle at the intersection of Neponset Avenue and Gallivan Boulevard.

Patten's Cove, at Savin Hill where the Boston Globe is now. The original Savin Hill Yacht Club was moved from there across the Boulevard to where it is now. There was a famous controversy when the Globe moved onto the tidelands marsh.

Peabody Square, the intersection of Ashmont Street and Dorchester Avenue.

Pope's Hill, the hill bounded by Ashmont Street, Adams Street and Neponset Avenue.

Port Norfolk, between the mouth of the Neponset River and Tenean Beach. Seymour's Ice Cream plant is there and Venezia Restaurant.

The Prairie was the name for the flat land located between Masschusetts Avenue and Norfolk Street. Old Mr. Boston Dry Gin Company had a big factory near the Victoria Diner located there. This filled-in marshland was part of South Bay which separated Dorchester and Roxbury and Boston's South End. The Marconi Italian Club was there.

Quincy-Geneva is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood just south of Quincy Street near Blue Hill Avenue. Part of the neighborhood would have been part of Cherry Valley.

Quincy-Olney is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood southwest of Quincy Street and west of Bowdoin Street.

Saint Paul's is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood north of Quincy Street, bounded on the east by the railroad, bounded on the west by Blue Hill Avenue. Part of this neighborhood would have been part of Cherry Valley.

Savin Hill, Rock Hill,Old Hill, Captain's Neck, the hill on a promontory of land at the eastern end of Savin Hill Avenue, ending in Fox Point. Allen's Plain (Pleasant St.) and Rock Hill were the area first settled by the English colonists in 1630. They built a fort at Rock Hill, where the placed several pieces of ordinance. Roger Ludlow, a brother-in-law of Gov. Endicott was chosen Assistant of the Company. In digging his cellar at Rock Hill, in 1631, he found two pieces of French money, one coined in 1596, proving that the place was visited by French trading vesels before the English settled here. In 1634, he was chosen Deputy Governor, and in 1636 he moved with others to Connecticut ans was chosen Deputy Governor of the new colony. The hill became known in the early 19th century as Savin Hill due to the great numbers of savin (cedar) trees growing there. The hill is rocky, and the park at the summit with its trees and magnificent view of the surrounding country, cannot be surpassed by any other place in the vicinity of Boston.

Shawmut takes its name from the stop by that name on the Red Line of the MBTA. The Shawmut neighborhood includes south of Melville Park and south of Wainwright Park.

Tenean Beach, the beach in the Neponset section of Dorchester that faces Port Norfolk.

Town Field, the playground at Fields Corner.

Uphams Corner, the intersection of Columbia Road, Dudley Street and Stoughton Street.

The Violet Street Neighborhood is the area east of Blue Hill Avenue and southwest of Morton Street.

Virginia-Monadnock is the name that has come to be used for the neighborhood south of Dudley Street and west of Columbia Road, bounded on the west by the railroad.

Wainwright Park is the neighborhood in the triangle of Centre Street, Dorchester Avenue and Talbot Avenue.

Wellington Hill, the hill in Mattapan that is bounded by Blue Hill Avenue, Morton and Almont Streets.

The West Tremlett Neighborhood is the name for the area west of Washington Street and north of Talbot Avenue and would also be included in the greater Codman Square area.

Pond StreetEnglewood DinerBarque Warwick CoveUpham's CornerCedar Grove
Wellington HillPope's HillPeabody SquareSouth Bay Mall site was once farms and wetlands article by Anthony SammarcoPort Norfolk revisited
Grove HallPatten's CoveThe Story of Ashmont Hill
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: January 19, 2004   Modified: February 10, 2008