| The Bird Sawyer House was located west of Upham’s Corner on Humphreys Street
Click image for more information
Thomas Bird came to Dorchester in 1635 and erected this house shortly thereafter. By 1931 ten generations of his descendants had lived here. The house, which was located at 41 Humphreys Street, was known also as the Bird-Sawyer house.
Thomas Bird arrived from England on the second voyage of the ship Mary and John in 1635. He was a poor man but he did well enough to buy a large tract of land west of Dorchester Brook, between what are now Dudley and East Cottage Streets. Mrs. Mary Bird Hill, grandmother of Charles Winthrop Sawyer, the owner in the late 1920s, told Sawyer that she had seen Thomas Bird's deed to the land dated 1637 with an Indian's thumbprint on it. When Bird died, his estate was valued at 1000 pounds and included "ye olde dwelling house" and "ye new dwelling House." Which of these was the house still standing in the early 20th century is not certain.
The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.