| This information is from the Churchís website
Click image for more information
Morning Star Baptist Church has become one of the fastest growing churches in greater Boston. The church was founded on June 14, 1965 by a handful of parishioners who held their initial worship services in the home of its first Pastor, the Rev. James Meadows. At this time, our beloved Mother Richardson, inspired by scripture, gave the church its name. Morning Star was officially established in August of 1965. From its humble beginnings, the church has grown to be a well known, highly regarded, full gospel assembly of over 2000 active members.
Morning Star Baptist Church is a diverse community of people with different backgrounds, races, personalities, ideas and visions; united by a desire to form a relationship with Jesus Christ. Put in simple terms, MSBC is a family-a family consisting of members of all ages, the majority of whom are between 18 and 55 years of age. We are students, teachers, doctors, nurses, aspiring astronauts and more. We work in the high tech industry, financial industry, schools, hospitals, etc. We are parents and children. We are brought together out of our desire to have a relationship with God and a desire to know him better. We fellowship together, pray together, cry together, worship together and learn together. Morning Star Baptist Church is a family united by Jesus and created to serve Him. We hope that this site will provide a glimpse into who we are and what we believe.
Morning Starís history is highlighted by its growth, expansion and community leadership. The church has experienced steady growth during its history. Soon after being established, the members of Morning Star outgrew their space and moved to 19 Stratton Street in Dorchester. In 1967, the church growth required a move to larger temporary quarters on 76 Glenway Street, Dorchester. Further expansion of the congregation necessitated a move in 1968 to 133 Harrishof Street, Roxbury. This sanctuary, which had once been a Jewish synagogue, met the needs of Morning Star until 1976. While the church had experienced several changes in leadership, Morning Star continued its steady, incremental growth. No longer a church that merely served the immediate neighborhood, Morning Star attracted people from various Boston communities. Again the church recognized the need for a larger sanctuary, so in 1976, while Rev. Walter Stevenson was serving as Pastor, Morning Star relocated to 1257 Blue Hill Avenue in Mattapan.
This new location was able to accommodate the congregation of approximately 300 with room for growth. The new site was centrally located, easily accessible by the membership, and highly visible to potential members as an active, spiritually effective church. Many members lived in Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury with more and more traveling from neighboring suburbs such as Milton and Randolph. For these and other reasons, it seemed prudent to purchase the building and parcel of land on which it stood. This would enable Morning Star to have a permanent home and the financial stability needed to better serve the congregation and community long term. In 1976, the church bought the old 1257 Blue Hill Avenue facility and property.
In 1981, Reverend John M. Borders, III was officially installed as Pastor becoming the youngest pastor to serve Morning Star. It has been under his leadership that the church has experienced its most significant growth. Rev. Borders and his associate ministers have been highly successful in bridging generations and attracting younger church members while continuing to fulfill the needs of the more senior members. His dynamic preaching and teaching of scripture, his spiritual leadership and organizational acumen have been inspirational. Under his leadership, Morning Starís membership, ministries and community service programs have flourished.
Once again, Morning Star outgrew its facility and started seeking to build a larger church. The church purchased the lot next door to the old building, instituted a five year capital campaign plan initiative and succeeded in getting alternative funding to expand. In November of 2004, the church moved into its new 30,000 square foot facility. Long range plans call for the church to offer (but is not limited to) a bookstore, ESL classes, computer training for youth and seniors, and skills development for single parents.
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 1548 images.
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have
other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What
about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you
have questions? Contact us
Created: February 13, 2011 Modified: February 13, 2011