| Postcard. Caption on front: Grove Hall. Postmarked May 10, 1906. On verso: No. 531. Pub. by Boston Post-Card Co., 12 Pearl St.
Click image for more information
The text below is found on the following webpage. What seems to be missing from this description is that Grove Hall was the name of Thomas Kilby Jonesí estate.
Grove Hall began as a crossroads. Wherever 17th century travelers ventured, they needed to cross the slender neck of land that connected Boston to the towns to the south. Grove Hall became the connecting point between Roxbury and Dorchester. Grove Hall took its name from Thomas Kilby Jones's mansion/estate.
Normandy Street in Grove Hall was the original boundary between Roxbury and Dorchester. Two men built their country estates on either side of this line. Boston auctioneer Thomas Kilby Jones built the first estate on the Roxbury side northwest of Normandy in the early 1800s, on land originally owned by Samuel Payson. The Jones estate included Puddingstone Park.
Marshal Wilder acquired his estate known as Hawthorne Grove on the Dorchester side (southeast of Normandy), formerly owned by the Sumner family. He moved there in 1831. Wilder was dedicated to horticulture. At various times over the course of his later years, Wilder was the president of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, the Massachusetts Agricultural Club, and the Massachusetts Agricultural College. He built his home at the intersection of Washington and Columbia Road, as well as multiple 20- to 40-foot greenhouses where he grew a range of fruits for domestic use. After Wilder died in 1886, his property was divided up into multiple plots.
The name Grove Hall was later applied to a popular hotel or summer house that operated just east of the intersection of Warren and Blue Hill Avenue in the early 1800s.
From Grove Hall south to Milton and the Blue Hill, the Brush Hill turnpike was planned in 1805 and built by 1809.