Dorchester Atheneum
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Activists
> Dorchester Illustration of the Day
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
   > Landmarks
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Architecture
 Lost Dorchester. For buildings lost to demolition or to fire, etc., click on the subsection "Architectural Preservation" under the section "Home" at the left of the screen. The Dorchester Historical Society's Top Ten Endangered Properties lists for 2004 and later years can be found in that same section.

Dorchester's architecture is justly famous. All Saints Church designed by Ralph Adams Cram in 1892 was the model for American parish church architecture for the next 50 years. St. Peter's Church is a magnificent example of 19th century American Gothic Revival. The former Girls' Latin School built as Dorchester High School in 1899 in the Renaissance Revival style has been converted into the Latin Academy apartments. The first settlers of the town are represented by two surviving 17th century houses, the Blake House, ca. 1648, in Richardson Park on Columbia Road, owned by the Dorchester Historical Society and the Pierce House, ca. 1683, on Oakton Avenue, owned by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. Examples of 18th century homes and Federal era and Greek Revival buildings are scattered throughout Dorchester. Dorchester is especially famous for neighborhoods with architecturally designed homes from the second half of the 19th century. Its architects include Edwin J. Lewis, Jr., John A. Fox and Luther Briggs, Jr. among many others. The three-family home of the late 19th to early 20th centuries exists in Dorchester in every imaginable design, ranging from the Peabody at Ashmont Street and Dorchester Avenue, a building designed as a series of attached brick 3 family homes, to the freestanding three-decker. A walking tour of nearly any neighborhood will reveal a variety of building elements with appealing designs: original decorative shingles, stained glass, columns, and brackets.

Illustrations exist of at least eight 17th-century houses that once stood in Dorchester, three of which have survived into the 21st century. The Pierce House stands where it always has on Oakton Avenue; the Blake House has been moved a few hundred yards east to its present position in Richardson Park on Columbia Road; and the Barnard Capen house, formerly situated on Washington Street, now stands in Milton. The other five 17th-century houses of which we have illustrations are the Bird-Sawyer House, the Minot House, the Rev. John Danforth House, the Humphreys House and the Bridgham House.

Architects represented in Dorchester include: Harrison H. Atwood; Asher Benjamin; Luther Briggs, Jr.; Charles Bulfinch; George Clough; Ralph Adams Cram and his firm Cram, Wentworth and Goodhue; John A. Fox; A. Warren Gould; Hartwell, Richardson and Driver, Patrick Keeley; Keeley and Houghton; Edwin J. Lewis, Jr.; Maginnis and Walsh; Charles Austin Wood.

As early as 1654 Dorchester was described by Johnson in his Wonder-Working Providence:

"Her houses for dwellings are about one hundred and forty, orchards and gardens full of fruit-trees, plenty of corn-land, although much of it hath been long in tillage, yet hath it ordinarily good crops. The number of trees are near upon 1,500. Cows and other cattle of that kind about 450."

Topics
Edward A. Huebener Brick CollectionLandmarks and Neighborhood DescriptionsNational Register PropertiesIndividual PropertiesBarnard Capen House
Blake HouseLemuel Clap HousePierce HouseCalf Pasture Pumping StationWilliam Clapp House
First Church and Lyceum HallDavenport Property AuctionArchitectural PreservationThe Synagogues of DorchesterCharles Hodgdon
Lyceum Hall Hosted Lectures, Dances, School Classes, Masses
Related Images: showing 1 of 1 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 1 images.
Historic buildings wind chimes
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: July 10, 2003   Modified: August 29, 2011