Dorchester Atheneum
Monday, December 11, 2017
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
   > Landmarks
      > Landmarks Description Ashmont Hill
      > Landmarks Description Bellevue/Glendale Streets
      > Landmarks Description Boston Sanatorium
      > Landmarks Description Carruth Street / Peabody Square
      > Landmarks Description Cedar Grove Cemetery/Richview
      > Landmarks Description Mill Street/Clam Point
      > More on Landmarks..
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Mill Street/Clam Point
 Mill Street Clam Point

AREA FORM from Boston Landmarks Commission prepared as part of 1994 Survey of Dorchester. Dated March, 1995 and recorded by Edward W. Gordon.

[Note: this reproduction of the information in the Boston Landmarks Area Form may have typographical errors, and for technical matters, the reader may want to consult a copy of the original, which is available at the Boston Landmarks Commission or the Dorchester Historical Society. Photos have added later by the editor and are not the same photos that were part of Gordon's report]

For a pdf version of the map showing the boundaries of Mill Street Clam Point, Click here

Architectural Description

Architecturally, the Mill St/Clam Pt. Area is most noteworthy for its collection of substantial Italianate and Italianate Mansard residences. A number of these houses retain ample lots, stables, granite gate posts, and Victorian driveway configurations. Indeed, this area might be said to have the most cohesive, intact collection of mansion-scale mid- 19th-century housing in Dorchester. That this area has maintained such a high degree of Victorian charm has a great deal to do with its oasis-like isolation, surrounded as it is by rail road tracks (west and north), the Southeast Expressway / William T. Morrissey Boulevard (north and east) and Victory Road on the south. To further clarify the boundaries of this area for the purposes of this survey, it is circumscribed by the back lot lines of Park Street on the north (just short of Freeport Street), the back lot lines of Everett Strcet on the east, the back lot lines of Mill Street, Ashland Street and Blanche Street (as far as #30) on the southeast, while the southern boundary follows a rather irregular path up and down lot lines bordering Blanche, Green, Hill and Mill Streets (technically Victory Road is the southern boundary of this area but its building stock tends t0 be undistinguished mid-20th-century residential, commercial and light industrial structures). The western side of this area borders the New York, New Haven and Hartford / Old Colony Railroad tracks.

In terms of architectural styles, a handful of houses with Federal and Greek Revival characteristics are located here and there along Park, Everett, Ashland and Mill Streets. The Italianate style in this area is usually employed in tandem with the mansard roof and is typically located along Park, Ashland and Everett Streets. Very substantial Italianate Mansard housing is located in the vicinity of Green, Hill and Mill Streets.



Header
 Development of modestly scaled Queen Anne houses borders Blanche Street. The Stick Style, popular during the 1870s and early 1880s, is surprisingly well represented for an area that was substantially built up by the 1850s. A full-blown Stick Style house, complete with overlays of vertical and horizontal boards, fret-work at the front porch's transom and turned posts stands at 15 Blanche Street. Other noteworthy Stick houses in this area include Everett Street and 50 Everdean Street. The Colonial Revival, so prevalent elsewhere in Dorchester is virtually absent at Mill Street Clam Point and is relegated to a few elements at 88 Mill Street and 22 Elm Street.

Header
20 Elm Street
Click image for more information
 The Craftsman style is represented in a rather modest way at 20 Elm Street.

Header
9 Park Street
Click image for more information
 At 9 Park Street, a Tapestry Brick house that would appear more at home on Pasadena Road in the Grove Hall section of Dorchester, was built on the site of an earlier house during the 1920s.



Header
19 Ashland Street
Click image for more information
 The oldest houses in the area are 19 Ashland Street (by 1830) and #32 Mill Street which was built in 1831. At first glance, 19 Ashland Street appears to be an Italianate house of the 1850s but its brick portion pre-dates 1830. Standing with narrow brick gable to the street, its wooden lateral additions form a T-shape. Evidently is house was built as a 5-bay house, two pile brick house.

Header
32 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 32 Mill Street is a 5-bay, 2 pile late Federal farm house, possesses a center entry, and is enclosed by a gable roof.

Header
13 Everett Street
Click image for more information
 Another c. 1830 Federal house worthy of further study is the L-shaped woodframe structure at 13 Everett, corner of Elm.



Header
21 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 The most substantial house in this area is 21 Mill Street, one of the most extraordinary Greek Revival houses in Dorchester by virtue of siting, design, massing, and elements.

Header
26 Mill Street 28 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 It is the center piece of an area of high quality mid-late 19th century houses which includes #?s 26/28 Mill Street (Stick Style),

Header
29 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 29 Mill Street (towered Queen Anne), Mill Street (Stick Style) and 19 Mill Street (brick and wood Italianate). #21 Mill Street is composed of a 2-bay , double pile main block with perpendicular wing. It is situated near the center of an ample corner lot, part of which is enclosed by the sweeping curve of Ashland Street. Shaded by "ancient" trees, this house provides a glimpse of Mill Street/Clam Point at the beginning of its development as an early "rail road suburb" of Boston. Stylistically, this house is Greek Revival verging on the Regency style, with its center pavilion, wide corner boards and pedimented gables. The Federal style is alluded to in the lunette windows of the attic. Both this house's main (Mill Street) and Ashland Street facades feature Ionic columned porches.

Header
7 Everett Street 4-5-2009
Click image for more information
 More modestly scaled Greek Revival housing appear at 7 Everett Street and

Header
Ashland at Park Street
Click image for more information
 1 Ashland Street.



Header
31 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 The most substantial example of the Italianate style in this area is 31 Mill Street. Set on a low, pedestal-like rise, this house's main facade exhibits a tall and narrow center pavilion which projects from a 3-bay, two pile main block with perpendicular one- and two-story ells. A chamfered and bracketed verandah encircles its northeast corner with front door at the center pavilion set within a well molded segmental arch. To the rear of this house is a large, remarkably intact stable.

Cupola-topped Italianate / Mansard residences provided mid-century home owners with harbor views and present-day residents with distinctive, "place making" residences situated amidst still-ample tree-shaded lawns.

Park Street is characterized by T-shaped form and rusticated walls, with porches at the front and sides. Its porches feature chamfered and bracketed posts. Rising to a height of 2.5 stories this handsome house is enclosed by bracketed, bell cast mansard roof with square cupola.



Header
40 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 Similarly, 40 Mill Street possesses a three-bay, two pile main block with a perpendicular wing. The edges of the center pavilion and main block are boldly outlined with modillion blocks. This house culminates in a hipped roof with octagonal cupola



Header
44 Mill Street
Click image for more information
 Unfortunately, the cupola-topped house at 44 Mill Street (1872) has been greatly altered by vinyl siding, but enough of its original siting and form survives to place it within its period of construction.



Header
2 Everett Street side
Click image for more information
 In addition to the aforementioned cupola-crowned show places, well-preserved, less ornate examples of the Italianate/Mansard style are still extant at 2 and 14 Everett Street. Built in 1859, 2 Everett Street is noteworthy for its well-rendered trimmings, including molded window and door enframents, guilloche cornice molding and scroll profile dormer enframents. In recent years, a later, enclosed, two-story porch addition has been removed and the main facade has been expertly recreated.

Header
14 Everett Street
Click image for more information
 The Italianate/Mansard house at 14 Everett Street is a substantial, T -shaped residence that was adapted for reuse at the turn-of-the-century as a summer hotel.

The Queen Anne style tends to be represented in the Mill Street area by modestly scaled residences that were built in clusters along northeastern Mill Street ( 4-18) and along Blanche Street ( 2 and 6) are fairly well preserved examples of compact, well crafted c. 1890 Queen Anne housing.

Header
29 Mill Street
Click image for more information
  The one truly substantial, exuberant Queen Anne residence in this area anchors the southwest corner of Mill and Ashland Streets - 29 Mill Street stands on an ample, hedge-lined lot, its distinctive corner tower, encircling veranda and sweeping gambrel profile presiding over an intersection at the heart of an architecturally distinguished node of residences.

Mill Street / Clam Point was substantially developed with residences by 1900. Occasionally, three-deckers were built on the side yards of older houses bordering Ashland Street but little in the way of early 20th century domestic architecture is in evidence in this area. One exception to this rule is the boxy, Tapestry Brick two-family that was built at 9 Park Street c. 1925-30. All that remains of an earlier house on this lot are granite gate posts.


Historical Narrative

The Mill St. / Clam Point area figures but little in the annals of Dorchester history until the 1830s. Dorchester historian William Dana Orcutt notes that during the 1630s and 40s,the southerly part of Harrison Square was called "Captain's Neck" or "Hawkins Neck" in honor of Captain Thomas Hawkins, a prominent ship builder, navigator and large landholder in Dorchester. One of the freemen of Dorchester and a member of the artillery company, Hawkins died in 1648. During the 18th century, the Tileston grist mill was constructed on Tenean Creek just inland from Dorchester Bay and the westerly end of Mill Street (now part of Victory Road) was cut through from Adams Street as the mill's access road.

The story of Mill Street / Clam Point?s initial residential development in the 1830s is closely linked with economic development at Commercial Point to the east, now the site of the Boston Gas Company gas tanks. Until early 20th century landfill, Clam Point was partially separated from Commercial Point by a body of water called Barque Warwick Creek. Clam Point, in turn, was separated from the rest of Dorchester by the meandering Tenean Creek, another body of water lost to landfill and highway projects. While Commercial Point's 19th century architectural appearance has been completely obliterated, Clam Point, in contrast, is one of the most intact mid-19th-century residential areas in Dorchester. Its building boom of the late 1840s and 50s was triggered primarily by the arrival of the Old Colony Railroad to this area in 1844. This railroad linked Boston with Plymouth and opened up Clam Point to residential development by affluent commuters.

As with Port Norfolk, Clam Point has significant historical associations with the important mid 19th century architect Luther Briggs who designed several houses in the area and is credited with the layout of Mill, Ashland, Park, Beach and Everett Streets.

In 1800, the Commercial Point peninsula was purchased by Joseph Newell and Ebenezer Niles. Initially, mills and factories were planned for Commercial Point but opposition from the owners of the old Tileston Mill forced Newell and Niles to commence shipbuilding at the Point. This enterprise was short lived and no physical evidence remains to document Newell and Niles wharves, ware houses, and residences. In 1832, a syndicate was formed by Boston businessmen for the promotion of whale and cod oil at Commercial Point. The principals involved were Nathaniel Thayer, Elisha Preston and Charles O. Whittemore. This syndicate owned 20 schooners, of which the " " and the "Preston" were built on the Point. The most famous ship associated with Commercial Point was the ?Charles Carroll" which the Dorchester whaling fleet acquired in 1832. Built in 1828, in Newburyport, this ship returned from a four year trip to the Pacific with 2,000 barrels of sperm oil and large quantities of whalebone.

It was against this colorful backdrop of whaling and fishing at Commercial Point that the Mill Street Clam Point area began to be built up with residences during the early 1830s. Although the whaling and fishing industry at Commercial Point lasted until only 1840, the coming of the Old Colony Railroad through the area in 1844 insured that Mill Street / Clam Point's house construction would continue and in fact escalate during the years leading up to the War. Just as no physical evidence remains of the early 19th century Newell and Niles years at Commercial Point, no above ground evidence remains to document the Thayer, Preston and Whittemore cooper shops, stores for hardware and ship chandlery.

32 Mill Street and 19 Ashland Street represent the oldest extant housing at Mill Street/Clam Point. Both houses appear on the 1831 Map of the Towns of Dorchester and Milton. The Federal Style residence at 32 Mill Street was the home of Elisha Preston, a merchant involved in the West India Trade and one of the major figures in the Commercial Poknt whaling industry. Originally occupying a large tract of land which remained in the family through the 1870s, in mid-century this house was the residence of John Preston, the owner of a chocolate and cocoa mill located on Commercial Point. As late as 1874, the Preston House was the only house on its block. This estate encompassed a stable and formal gardens. By 1884, Charles H. Nute, partner in Folsom, Nute and Newell, "tailors trimmings?, owned this house. This house remained in the Nute family until at least 1910. From c. 1915 until at least the early 1930s, this house was owned by Mrs. Julia F. O'Neil.

19 Ashland Street is one of two remaining brick Federal style houses in Dorchester. Built c. 1830 for a member of Dorchester's Withington family, it was evidently purchased by Nathaniel F. Safford, counselor, at some point in the mid 19th century. From 1874 until 1898, Sarah K. Safford is listed as its owner. Later owners included William Hall (early 1900s), Hazel L. Tomlinson (1910s) and by the early 1930s a D. Santoro is listed as this property's owners.

Everdean Street is said to date to the early 1830s but a closer, on site study is needed to ascertain the date of this much altered residence.

A major surge of development occurred in the Mill Street and Commercial Point areas after 1844. In that year, the Old Colony Railroad was opened for travel between Boston and Plymouth. Mill Street/Clam Point's local train station was located near the present MBTA underpass at Park and Beach Streets at Harrison Square. Ashland, Park, Everett and Elm Streets were surveyed by Dorchester architect Luther Briggs, Jr. during the early 1840s. Between 1845 and 1870, this street grid was built up with monumental residences, several of which were designed by Briggs and retain their original appearance, as well as siting on large, deep, heavily landscaped lots. Briggs' career as an architect is closely tied with developments bordering the Old Colony Railroad line in Dorchester. He lived for many years at Port Norfolk, Dorchester, a neighborhood served by this railroad line. Like Clam Point, Port Norfolk encompasses several Briggs-designed buildings. Additionally, he was the architect of Old Colony President Nathan Carruth's mansion (demolished) atop Carruth's Hill, Dorchester. He is known to have designed several town houses in the South End section of Boston, including the South End Historical Society headquarters at 532 Union Park.

The architecturally significant Greek Revival mansion at 21 Mill Street provides physical evidence of families of considerable means living in this area during the late 1840s. It was built for Elisha T. Loring c. 1848. Born in Barnstable, MA, in 1804, Loring was active for half a century in the tin and copper trade with South American ports. He owned a fleet of vessels which developed into the National Dock Company, located at East Boston. Elisha Loring owned 21 Mill Street until his death in 1889. Loring's heirs owned this property until they sold it c. 1895 to Franklin King of E.F. King and Company, wholesale druggists. King's main residence once stood next door on the site of the present Byrne playground. In addition to being a wholesale druggist, King was active in the paint and oil trade and was a major Boston area real estate developer. King Square, Dorchester, was named in his honor. King died c. 191900 and this house was subsequently purchased by Francis W. Wilson, consulting engineer. By the early 1930s, this property may have been operated as a boarding house with Mary Budzinski, widow of Paul, renting out rooms to Phillip Budzinski, Arthur F. Jewett, manager, Elmer V. Toomey and George Wickstrom, clothing designer. At some point during the early 20th century, King's no longer extant residence on the Byrne Playground parcel was operated as the Massachusetts Homeopathic Hospital. This conversion from home to hospital reflects the decline of Clam Point as a bastion of well-to-do commuters. Prior to the introduction of landfill for the Southeast Expressway, Dorchester Bay was located only one block from 21 Mill Street, and surely the hospital's location attracted recovering patients.

Mill Street/Clam Point's Greek Revival housing has suffered over time from alterations or have disappeared without a trace. The asbestos shingle covered Greek Revival residence at 1 Ashland Street was built c. 1850 and was owned by Woodmans (1850s), Reids (1870s), Prestons (1880s), and Gilrains (1930s). 7 Everett Street is a Greek Revival house attributed to the architect Joseph C. Howard. It appears on the 1859 Walling map labeled H.S. Bleney. By 1870, this house was owned by a Robert Pierce. During the 1880s and 90s, it was owned by the George Lovett trustees. Around the turn-of-the-century, it was owned by Charles P. Wright whose office was located at 19 Exchange Place, Boston. August G. Roedel, decorator, lived here by 1910. Evidence that there was a sizeable Italian community living here by the early 1930's is reinforced by home owners such as Anna, widow of Antonio Scalia who is listed at 7 Everett Street in 1933. The Late Federal / Greek Revival residence at 13 Everett Street dates to the c. mid 1840's and was the home of Axel Dearborn, owner of an iron forge at Commercial Point and manufacturer of car axles, cranks and locomotives. By 1874, this house was one of several properties in the Mill Street/Clam Point area owned by wealthy Boston and Dorchester businessman Franklin King. From the 1880s until at least 1910, Eliza M. Carr owned this house. By the World War I era, Morris Herwitch (1918) and Frank L. Metcalf, variety store owner, owned 13 Everett Street.

Later owners of #23 Park Street included Luther D. Shepherd, dentist, 100 Boylston Street, Boston (1880s) and James W. Calnan, liquors, 321 Tremont Street and 98 Pleasant Street (1890s). From the early 1900s until at least the early 1930's, # 23 was the residence of Rose D. and John J. Murphy, treasurer, Star Manufacturing and Producing Co., 69 Shirley Street, Roxbury.

The much altered Italianate house at 25/27 Park Street is attributed to Luther Briggs (early photographs are said to show entrance and window treatments similar to those of 23 Park which is a documented Briggs-designed house). It was built during the 1850s for Joseph C. Lindsley, ardent abolitionist and president of one of Boston's leading shoe and leather businesses. This house is said to have served as an underground railroad way station for Afro-Americans escaping slavery. Another Briggs-designed house is 2 Everett Street, corner of Park Street, lich was built in 1859 for Benjamin Manson. The Greek Revival/Italianate residence at 13 Park Street was owned by a Mrs. E.H. Preston during the 1850s and during the 1860s-80s was the property of insurance broker John J. Loring of Loring and Clark, 15 Kilby Street, Boston. From the 1890s until the 1920s, this house was owned by Hannah F. Abbott and her heirs. By 1933, Mrs. Mary Giacobbe owned this property. 17 Park Street is an Italianate house that was owned by a C. Ranstead during the 1850s. By the late 1860s, it was owned by Rachel and William Everett, partner in Williams and Everett looking glasses and picture frames, 294 Washington Street. Rachel Everett lived here until the early 1900s. Margaret Norris, widow of Frederick owned this house by 1910. During the Depression, Mary Klepaki, Gino Boldrighini, "lab" and Ernest A. Sofulis, chef resided at this address.

During the mid-19th-century, more modest Italianate style houses were built along Elm and Ashland Streets. 9Ashland Street, for example was the home of bookkeeper Thomas J. Allen from the 1850's to the end of the century. Partially intact is a node of middle class Italianate housing on Elm Street between Ashland and the railroad tracks. Still extant from the mid-century are the homes of Pierces (#6 Elm Street), Whitens (#5 Elm Street) and Andrews (#2 Elm Street).

The area east and south of Mill Street was not developed until after the Civil War. During the 1870s and 1880s, the Preston estate was subdivided into house lots and three imposing residences were built on the south side of Mill Street. The substantial mansard house at 42 Mill Street was built c. 1870 for Charles F. Burditt, a dealer in hardware and cutlery whose business was advertised as the "Largest Builders' Hardware Dealers East of New York". Adjacent to the Burditt House, at 44 Mill Street, is a mansard-roofed residence with a domed cupola and period carriage house. This house was built around 1872 for Albe C. Clarke, a successful Boston attorney and a long-time Dorchester resident who moved from Port Norfolk to Clam Point. Clarke, along with Elisha Loring of 21 Mill Street were staunch opponents of the annexation of Dorchester to the City of Boston in 1870. Across Greenhill Street at Mill Street is a hip roofed, hexagonal cupola -topped Italianate of c.1882. It was built for Boston businessman William H. L. Smith. Later owners of #40 Mill included an Esther W. Smith (turn-of-the- century), Bartholomew Crowley, treasurer, 239 South Street (1910s) and Mary E. Crowley (1920s and 30s). After the Burditt family's residency at 42 Mill Street ended around 1900, this house passed to Bessie O. Howell (1910s), Isabel A. and James McHenry, salesman (late 1910s) and Pauline and John Nelson, vice president of John Nelson Co., carpenters (1930s).

While Mill Street / Clam Point continued to evolve at mid-century as a genteel community of villas with well-landscaped grounds, a grittier world of forges, a chocolate manufactory as well as lumber and coal yards was arriving to the east at Commercial Point. On the western side of Mill Street/Clam Point, a local commercial center had been established at the Harrison Square depot which included the Mattapan Bank, a bowling saloon, the Mattapan Library and a provisions store. By mid-century, Mill Street was well on its way to being the premiere residential street in the area. Already standing were Italianate houses at 31, 33, 37 and 41 Mill Street which provided over very deep lots with generous, uniform set backs from the street and rear property lines bordering the commuter railroad tracks.

31 Mill Street's owner during the 1850s was a B. Converse. Its lot originally encompassed that of 29 Mill Street. This house is said to have been remodeled by architect Luther Briggs, Jr., during the 1860s. By 1874, George K. Guild of the George C. Richardson Co, 178 Devonshire Street, Boston owned this property. Evidently, 31 was a summer residence as his principal residence is listed as 30 Chester Square in Boston's South End. During the 1890s and early 1900s it was owned by Austin W. Wheeler who was engaged in a "feather and bedding" concern at 63 and 65 Hanover Street, Boston Street. By the World War I era, Bertha and Abraham A. Schimmel owned this house. Mr. Schimmel's bedding business was called the Metropolitan Mattress Company at 47 Wareham Street, Boston. By 1933, this house was occupied by Agnes and Joseph Mazdinski, furnace repair, Frank S. Jones, type writer repair and Grace and Everett Houghton.

33 Mill Street was built in 1844 (plaque on house), possibly for a T. S. Mitchell. By 1874 it was owned by a Benjamin F. Wilson and during the 1880s and most of the 90s, it was owned by jeweler James M. Longstreet. Boston restauranteur August Dierkes family owned this house from the 1890s until at least the early 1930s.

Built in 1848, 37 Mill Street's owner during the 1850s was an I. Robinson. By 1874, it was the home of Josiah Carter, partner in the Boston real estate firm of Barnes and Carter. Later owners included E. T. Milliken (1884), William H. Schiff, President of W.H. Schiff and Co., "manufacturers of chemicals and colors" (1890s), Edith (1910) and Emma C. and William H. Thayer, treasurer, shoe and leather Mercantile Agency, 183 Essex Street .

41 Mill Street was owned by an H. D. Morse during the 1850s. During the 1870s this house's ownership is unclear. From the early 1880s until c. l900, Dollie E. Foster owned this house. During the 1910's a watchmaker named Joseph Maysles owned this property. Directory listings for 1933 reveal that 41?s occupation status followed the neighborhood trend toward multi-occupancy, representing the impact of the Depression and the unfeasibility of a single family maintaining a mansion scale residence. By the early 1930s, Annie Markaskie, Mrs. Paul Dary, Mrs Duke and Mrs Francis V. Mackin are all listed at this address.

Park Street was also developed as a street of large Italianate residences during the late 1840s and 50s. Extending eastward from the depot at Harrison Square to the wharves of Commercial Street and Dorchester Bay, Park Street was settled with nine structures by 1859. Among these buildings was the Luther Briggs-designed Charles Jenkins House at Park Street. This house was remodeled by Briggs in 1866. During the 1860s and 70s, Rebecca T. and Theron Shaw lived here. He was a business partner in a shoe and leather trade along with Joseph C. Lindsley of #25-27 Park Street and Rufus Gibbs who lived at 8 Elm Street during the 1880s.

Luther Briggs was not the only important local 19th century architect whose work is represented at Mill Street / Clam Point. The Stick style 26-28 Mill Street was built for Mary E. Noyes c. 1879 from designs provided by Dorchester architect John A. Fox. Fox's work is well represented in the Ashmont section of Dorchester. 26-28 Mill Street occupies the site of earlier Noyes family houses dating back to the early 19th century.

By the 1880ss, the Preston lands east of Mill Street had been broken up into house lots and overlaid with a grid of streets encompassing the eastern end of Ashland, Greenhill, Everdean and the upper section of Blanche Street. Originally called Harrison Street, Blanche Street was intended to run to Ashland Street. Its path was altered to turn west at a right angle, running one short block to Everdean Street. 6 Blanche Street was built c. 1890 over what was intended to be the eastern extension of Blanche Street. Its original owner was John Small, designer. From the early 1900s until at least the early 1930s, it was owned by Thomas S. Connorton of Police Division 2. Blanche Street was built up with modest Queen Anne houses exemplified by 2 Blanche Street built during the early 1890s for Carrie A. Wright. Abbie F. and Walter A. Bemis resided at 2 Blanche from c. 1898 until at least the early 1930s. Walter A. Bemis was a manager for the New England Buff Co., 95 Albany Street, Boston. The oldest house on this street is 15 Blanche Street. Designed in the Stick Style and built for Sarah B. Cutter by 1884, it was later home to Dexter J. Cutter of D.J. Cutter Coal and Wood Co., 420 Freeport Street, Commercial Point, Dorchester. From the 1910s until at least the early 1930s, this property was owned by Margaret T. and Roderick H. MacNeil, carpenter. Also built during the early 1880s is the substantial Queen Anne house at 43 Mill Street which was built for Boston businessman Erastus Willard.

Boston and Dorchester atlases provide evidence to suggest that Mill Street / Clam Point enjoyed growth as a summer resort during the 1890s. By 1898, 14 Everett Street had been converted from a private residence to a summer hotel called the Russell House. It was built in the Italianate Mansard style during the 1860s for S. Packard Freeman, Freeman and Co., cotton brokers. The late 90s marked the time that the Frank Humphreys' house at 3 Mill Street (demolished) was converted into a summer lodging house called Ellsmere. The Ellsmere property, in addition to a mansion, encompassed two small houses, two stables, as well as Ellsmere Hall which was attached to the larger of two stables. Unlike the Russell House, Ellsmere was waterfront property located directly across the street from Dorchester Yacht Club on Freeport Street, between Mill and Park Streets. The yacht club was extant by 1894.

As late as the 1890s, an architecturally ambitious residence was constructed at 29 Mill Street, comer of Ashland. It was built for Washington Libby Krogman, salesman. Krogman is listed in 1890 as a boarder at 90 Pembroke Street in Boston's South End. By 1894 he is listed as the owner of 29 Mill Street. By 1910, Thomas F. Mc Manus lived here. By the Depression era., Ursula Raulinaitus, widow of Andrew is listed at this address. The style and substance 29 Mill Street was an anomaly compared to Clam Point's more modest turn-of-the-century Queen Anne houses built along the northern end of Mill Street near Freeport (Commercial) Street. Representative of speculator built housing from this period is 18 Mill Street. During the 1870s its lot was part of the William H. Boynton estate. Built c. 1890-94, #18 Mill Street was one of four contiguous houses owned by James H. Stark and Frederick J. Stark. The former was president of the Photo Electrotype Company while the latter's occupation is listed as Cashier, 477 Washington Street. The Starks were the owner-residents of the unusual brick Gothic Italianate house at 252/254 Grampian Way in the Savin Hill section of Dorchester. By the World War I era, Mary A. and William A. Rumpf owned 18 Mill Street. Mr. Rumpf was a commercial merchant at 157 Federal Street, Boston. By 1933, Patrick J. , auto mechanic owned this property.

On the Victory Road end of Everdean and Blanche Streets, small Queen Anne houses on lots of less than 2,000 square feet completed the 19th century residential development of the Mill Street / Clam Point district. These dwellings include 20-30 and 19-35 Blanche Street as well as 74 to 84 Everdean Street. Here and there, three-deckers were built on the subdivided lots of earlier housing. The Colonial Revival three-deckers at 18, 20 and 22 Everett Street were built in 1911 by Ambrosio Piotto.

During the first quarter of the twentieth century, this area became less of a Yankee Protestant stronghold as the wealthy Lorings, Kings and Humphreys passed from the scene and middle class Italian, Irish and Polish families purchased Mill Street / Clam Point's commodious residences. During the 1930s the trend seems to have been toward ihe creation of rental units in the larger houses, undoubtedly in response to the grim economic realities of the Depression. The decline of this area as an exclusive enclave of affluent commuters was also tied to the continued industrialization of Commercial Point and the gradual filling in of Barque Warwick Cove, Tenean Creek and the Dorchester Bay waterfront. The construction of the Old Colony Parkway (Morrissey Blvd.) and the Southeast Expressway (l950s) served to further distance Mill Street / Clam Point from the waterfront.


Statement of Significance

Architecturally, the Mill St / Clam Point area is most noteworthy for its collection of substantial Italianate and Italianate Mansard residences. A number of these houses retain ample lots, stables, granite gate posts and mid-Victorian driveway configurations. Indeed, this area might be said to have the most cohesive, intact collection of mansion-scale, mid-19th-century housing in Dorchester. Clam Point has significant historical associations with the important mid 19th century architect Luther Briggs who designed several houses in the area including 23; 25/27 Park Street. Briggs is credited with the layout of Mill, Ashland, Park, Beach and Everett Streets. This area satisfies criteria A and C of the National Register of Historic Places. Mill Street/Clam Point is also recommended as an architectural conservation district.



Bibliography and/or References

Boston and Dorchester Maps/Atlasts ? 1794, 1830, 1850, 1874, 1884, 1894, 1898, 1910, 1918, 1933.

Boston Directories: 1870-1945

?Clam Point"-Boston Landmarks Commission publication-BLC files

Orcutt, William Dana, Good Old Dorchester. 1893

Various Authors, The Dorchester Book Illustrated, 1899

Old Time New England, S.P.N.E.A. Winter-Spring, 1977 Vol. LXVII, Nos 3-4-Luther Briggs, by Ed Zimmer

Anthony M. Sammarco, "History: Before the gas tanks, there was thriving Commercial Point? DCN ? 10/8/1993



Related Images: showing 8 of 23 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 23 images.
Third Unitarian Church, Neponset Ave. and Mill St.33 Mill Street40 Mill Street20 Mill Street
Gas Tank seen from Tenean BeachHuebener Brick no. 24 Holmes House19 Ashland StreetHenry Noyce House
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: July 18, 2005   Modified: March 14, 2012