Dorchester Atheneum
Monday, December 18, 2017
Search
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
   > Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection
      > Huebener Brick no. 1 Barnard Capen House
      > Huebener Brick no. 2 Deacon Ebenezer Clap House
      > Huebener Brick no. 3 Missing
      > Huebener Brick no. 4 Minot House
      > Huebener Brick no. 5 James Blake House
      > More on Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection..
   > Landmarks
   > National Register Properties
   > Individual Properties
   > Barnard Capen House
   > More on Architecture..
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
> Town History
> Walking Tours
> 



Minot House
Huebener Brick no. 4 Minot House
Click image for more information
 4. Minot House, Chickatawbut Street


The Minot property was located on Neponset Avenue near Chickatawbut Street.



The Edward A. Huebener collection of over 100 bricks originally collected by Mr. Huebener exhibits brick paintings of the houses from which the bricks came. The bricks have upon them painted scenes of (mostly) old Dorchester houses and landmarks. To see a list of all the bricks, choose the term Architecture in the list at the left of the screen and choose the first subsection -- the Edward A. Huebener Brick Collection and scroll to the bottom of that page to see icons for all the bricks.


Header
Map showing Minot House 1874
Click image for more information
 The Minot House built by George Minot was among the oldest in the town, probably built about 1640. Josselyn, writing in 1663, on the occasion of his second voyage to New England, mentions it among others.

Detail from 1874 Hopkins atlas, showing the Minot property as it existed at that time (large green section).

Header
Minot House
Click image for more information
 The Rev. Samuel J. Barrows of the First Parish wrote that the first houses of settlers were probably simple cabins covered with thatch. As the colony grew, these soon gave way to more comfortable and pretentious structures, but still characterized by what we should consider to-day [1880] a barn-like simplicity. The exact date of construction is unknown but we know it was destroyed by fire in November 1874. Though to all external appearance nothing but a wooden house, its frame was filled in solidly with brick, either for greater durability or perhaps to render the walls bullet-proof.

Scan of a woodcut reproduced in The Memorial History of Boston, 1630-1880, edited by Justin Winsor. Boston: Ticknor and Company, 1880. Vol. 1.

Header
Minot House
Click image for more information
 Hayward s Gazetteer 1839: Among the first settlers of Dorchester was George Minot, a ruling elder of the church for thirty years. He erected a dwelling-house in that part of Dorchester where the pleasant village of Neponset now stands. That house is now standing, and its doubtless one of the oldest houses in the country. It is in good repair, and has ever remained in possession of Mr. Minot s lineal descendants. Mr. Minot died December 24, 1671, aged 78.

Scan of electro-type on a page removed from Antique Views of Ye Towne of Boston.

Header
Minot House, Neponset
Click image for more information
 Elder George Minot, the builder of the house, was one of the first settlers of the town, and he owned the land which has been known as Squantum. He was made a freeman in 1634, and was a representative to the General Court in1635 and 1636. He was a contemporary with Elder Humphrey, and it is said that the following lines were once to be found in the Old Burying Ground:

Here lie the bodies of the Unite Humphrey and Shining Minot,
Such names as these, they never die not.


Photograph in the collection of the Dorchester Historical Society.

Header
Minot House maid
Click image for more information
 This house is more celebrated for the female heroism displayed within its walls, than for its antiquity. A party of Narraganset Indians, hunting on the borders of Neponset river, stopped at elder Minot s house and demanded food and drink. On being refused they threatened vengeance, and the sachem, or chief of the party, left an Indian in ambush to watch an opportunity to effect it. Soon after, in the absence of all the family, except a young woman and two small children, the Indian attacked the house and fired at the young woman, but missed his mark. The girl placed the children under two brass kettles and bade them be silent. She then loaded Mr.


Header
Neponset native
Click image for more information
 Minot s gun and shot the Indian in the shoulder. He again attacked the house, and in attempting to enter the window, the girl threw a shovel full of live coals into his face and lodged them in his blanket. On this the Indian fled. The next day he was found dead in the woods. The Indian s name was Chickataubut, but not the Narraganset sachem of that name. The government of Massachusetts Bay presented this brave young woman with a silver wristband, on which her name was engraved, with this motto, -- "She slew the Narrhaganset hunter."

Related Images: showing 8 of 8 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 8 images.
Minot HouseMinot HouseMinot HouseMinot House
Minot HouseMinot House, NeponsetMinot House maidMap showing Minot House 1874
Feedback
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: July 21, 2005   Modified: January 7, 2016