Dorchester Atheneum
Saturday, January 16, 2021
Site Tips
> Home
> Agriculture
> Architecture
> Artists
> Authors
> Books
> Cemeteries
> Churches
> Dorchester Historical Society
> Entertainment
> Entertainers
> Industry & Commerce
> Institutions
> Maps
> Monuments
> Myths
> Postcard Images
> Public Figures
> Schools
   > Dorchester High School
   > Gibson School
   > Harris School
   > Home School for Young Ladies
   > Industrial School for Girls
   > Dorchester Academy
   > More on Schools..
> Town History
> Walking Tours

Dorchester Academy
Map Detail showing Dorchester Academy in 1831
Click image for more information
 The building used for the Dorchester Academy was moved to its present location at 18 Lyndhurst Street sometime prior to 1910. The building appears in place on Lyndhurst Street in the 1910 Bromley atlas but not in the 1904 atlas.

The assumptions in the following notes should be corroborated by a title search of prior owners of the property.

The 1831 Baker map of Dorchester shows the Dorchester Academy building on Washington Street north of Second Church. The Second Church is labeled Codman. The Clap house is the Clap Kendall House that was located at the northeast corner of what is now the intersection of Washington Street and Kenwood Street. The Bull House was located where the Court House is now.

Map Detail 1858 showing Dorchester Academy building
Click image for more information
 The 1858 Walling map of Norfolk County shows a house that is labeled S. Gilbert, which is probably the Dorchester Academy building.

Map Detail 1874 showing Dorchester Academy
Click image for more information
 The 1874 Hopkins atlas shows a building owned by Edwin H. Sampson that is labeled Hot House, but that building is probably the main house. Outbuildings often had the crossed diagonal lines from corner to corner, and there is another building on the Sampson property that was probably the Hot House.

Map Detail 1904 showing Dorchester Academy building
Click image for more information
 The 1904 Bromley atlas shows a house owned by William U. Sherman facing Washington Street that seems to be the same house.

Map Detail showing 18 Lyndhurst Street the Dorchester Academy
Click image for more information
 The 1910 Bromley atlas shows the house now at 18 Lyndhurst, probably the Sherman House in the 1904 atlas turned to face Lyndhurst, allowing for more development of the extra land.

Dorchester Academy 18 Lyndhurst Street
Click image for more information
 Dorchester Academy

[from Good Old Dorchester by William Dana Orcutt. Cambridge, 1893.

The Dorchester Academy was established in 1831, with a board of trustees composed of Rev. John Codman, D.D., president; James Penniman, treasurer; Joseph Leeds, secretary; James Leach, and Thomas Tremlett. The first principal was the Rev. Dr. Riggs, the now venerable missionary at Constantinople. The school was begun in the house of James Penniman, on Washington Street, the present Walter Baker Mansion, until suitable quarters could be obtained.

It proved very popular, and in 1832 it had 103 pupils enrolled. In the catalogue for that year are the names of many of Dorchester?s most respected men and women during the last half-century; and there are many living today whose thoughts go back to the old academy days with affectionate remembrances. The trustees spared no pains to make the academy a model in every way, their attention being equally divided upon the branches of study and deportment. ?The principles of government,? the early catalogue states, ?are not tyrannical and arbitrary. No principle is developed before there is occasion for its immediate use. Then the pupil understands that is one which his own highest interest, and the highest interest of the whole, actually requires,--one which springs immediately from the relations which he sustains. Consequently the motive to obedience becomes strong and powerful. It is the same that will urge him to a faithful performance of duty in future life. It is that which will add to such a performance of duty the richest of earthly enjoyments, a consciousness of having done right. In case of disobedience, this happiness will be set in striking contrast with the misery consequent upon a neglect of duty, and a violation of moral obligation. If the pupil?s own mind is made to dwell suitably on this contrast in the hour of private retirement and meditation, he will generally be sufficiently corrected, --not indeed by the rod of his teacher, but by that which is still more intolerable, the lashes of his own conscience.?

In spite of the tolerance of the above statement, extreme measures were occasionally employed. It is related that while the school sessions were still held in the Penniman House, the principal had a long attack of illness. The vacancy was filled by John Codman (who has since become so well known as the ?Captain?) who was at that at home on a vacation from Amherst College. The new principal celebrated his election to the honored position by administering a whipping to every boy in the school, with one exception. This exception, it is said, was made owing to the probability that the boy would reverse the order of exercises if an attempt had been made to apply the ferule. Never were more fervent prayers uttered than those for the recovery of the principal, Dr. Riggs; but Mr. Codman was never accused of not preserving order in his school.

At the end of some six or eight months the building for the Dorchester Academy was ready for occupancy; and the school was removed from the Penniman House, which had been given up so generously for its use. The new building was located on Washington Street, near the Second Church, and it still remains standing, after passing through the changes necessary to make it into a dwelling-house.

Related Images: showing 8 of 13 (more results)
Here are some images from the Atheneum archive related to this topic. Click on any of these images to open a slideshow of all 13 images.
Colonial Club, Dorchester, Mass.Colonial ClubPenniman Baker HouseDorchester Academy 18 Lyndhurst Street
Map Detail 1858 showing Dorchester Academy buildingMap Detail 1874 showing Dorchester Academy18 Lyndhurst Street12-14 Lyndhurst Street and Dorchester Academy
Do you know something about this topic? Do you have other pictures or items or knowledge to share? What about a personal story? Are you a collector? Do you have questions? Contact us here.
Created: June 11, 2006   Modified: June 11, 2006