No. 14861 Dorcheester Anti-Slavery Society, program for July 4, 1835
On June 20, 1835, the newspaper The Liberator published the announcement below. The illustration is a copy of the program for the July 4th event.
Fourth of July Celebration
A public meeting of the Dorchester Anti-Slavery Society will be held on the 4th day of July next, at the Rev. Dr. Codman’s meeting-house, at half past 3 o’clock, P.M., On which occasion, Wm. Lloyd Garrison, of Boston, will deliver an Oration, and it is expected that the Declaration of Independence will be read by Rev. E. M. P. Wells, with suitable comments. There will also be other exercises adapted to the occasion. Ladies and Gentlemen of Dorchester and vicinity are respectfully invited to attend. Orin P. Bacon, Rec. Soc. Dor. A. S. Society
Dr. Codman’s meeting house was Second Church in Codman Square. Eleazer Mather Porter Wells was an Episcopal minister. Wells served as superintendent for the Farm School, which moved to Thompson Island in 1835. Wells bought the 140-acre-island from the town of Dorchester in November 1832 for $6,000,and commissioned Charles Bulfinch to design the building. The city of Boston acquired title to Thompson Island in 1834, but the school remained. (Peter C. Holloran. Boston’s Wayward Children: Social Services for Homeless Children, 1830-1920. Cranbury, N.J. 1989, 39)