Places of Worship and CemeteriesDorchester's Life of Faith
In Good Old Dorchester, Orcutt provides a history of the early churches of the town. From 1630 until 1806, the town had only one church, first at Pleasant and Pond Streets and later at Meeting House Hill, The clash between conservative and liberal views at the Second Church resulted in the formation of the Third Church, a Unitarian group in 1813. The nineteenth century saw a great proliferation of churches that has continued to the present.
Places of Worship
Dorchester had only one church until the 19th century. Then there was proliferation of church buildings, especially by religions new to Dorchester.
As with churches, there was only one cemetery until the 19th century. Others followed.