The Mattapan Methodist Episcopal Church was formed after preaching services began in Mattapan as early as 1845. The services were moved from Oakland Hall to the Episcopal Chapel on Norfolk Street, purchased for $5.00 above the mortgage. This edifice was dedicated as the Methodist Episcopal Church, March 11, 1875.
Shirley D. Coffin was pastor in 1916.
For more information, consult:
Chaffee, John R. The History of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Dorchester, Massachusetts. Boston: The Pilgrim Press, 1917.