Places of WorshipDorchester's Religious Institutions
In Good Old Dorchester, Orcutt provides a history of the early churches of the town. From 1630 until 1806, the town had only one church, first at Pleasant and Pond Streets and later at Meeting House Hill, The clash between conservative and liberal views at the Second Church resulted in the formation of the Third Church, a Unitarian group in 1813. The nineteenth century saw a great proliferation of churches that has continued to the present.
The following dates may not be official. Sometimes congregations met before becoming formal organizations.