The Boston Directory for 1870 has an entry for Franklin Farrington, groceries, Dorchester ave., cor. East, house do. ward 6 [Dorchester].
The building with the Farrington name appears in the 1874 Hopkins atlas and later atlases. The Farrington store building still exists although much altered.
No. 7516 Advertisement in Dorchester and Quincy Directory, 1868-9.
F. Farrington, Dealer in West-India Goods, Flour, Teas, Tobaccos, Spices, etc., 1261 Dorchester Ave., cor. East St. Wd 24, Boston
Among the many grocery establishments carried on in this city, that conducted by Mr. Fr. Farrington, at No. 1261 Dorchester Avenue, corner of East Street, Dorchester District, deserves particular mention on account of the age and the high character of the enterprise. It was inaugurated about 1830 by Andrew Glover, who sold the business in 1863 to the present proprietor, who had been in business on the opposite side of the street for six years previous, or since 1856, and in this connections it is interesting to note that Mr. Farrington’s business cards refer to him as a dealer in “West India Goods,” as all groceries were called in the days when the most important goods they handled came entirely from the West Indies. But we would not have our readers infer that there is anything “behind the times” about this establishment, for it is thoroughly “up to date” in every particular although Mr. Farrington does adhere to the old-fashioned policy of giving “full value for money received.” He carries a large, carefully-chosen and compete stock of staple and fancy groceries, including the choicest teas and coffees and the purest spices that the market affords, and a very complete line of imported and domestic table delicacies, the very best canned goods, etc. Employment is given to three competent assistants, and all orders are assured prompt and careful attention.
from Picturesque Boston Highlands, Jamaica Plain and Dorchester (New York: Mercantile Illustrating Co., 1895), 18
A later shop at 1261 Dorchester Avenue was Maguire’s Market, of which an illustration appears on a matchbook cover.
No. 1886 Maguire’s Market