No. 14620 Engine 46, photograph from 1910
Engine 18/Ladder 6 (Ashmont)
This firehouse opened on October 4, 1894, housing Combination Wagon 1 (Ashmont). On January 10, 1907, Combination Wagon 1 was disbanded and Engine Company 46 was organized. The building was originally built with only one rounded door (see photo at left).
From 1907 to 1958 the building housed Engine 46. On June 11, 1960, Engine Squad Company 18 moved from the firehouse at 30 Harvard Street to 1884 Dorchester Ave. Engine Squad 18 had maintained quarters at 30 Harvard Street after Boston annexed the Town of Dorchester in 1870.
In 1982, Ladder Company 6, organized in 1870, moved in from its former quarters at 9 Gallivan Boulevard. Engine 18 and Ladder 6 remain at the Peabody Square property today.
No. 749 An 1894 sketch by Charles Maginnis of the Ashmont Fire House, designed by E.M. Wheelwright. Published in Ashmont / Paul Douglass Shand-Tucci. Dorchester : The Dorchester Historical Society, 1991.