Harold Armstrong Andrews

No. 13088 Harold Armstrong Andrews

Photograph in a collection of photographs and service records maintained by Dr. Nathaniel Royal Perkins.  During World I, Dr. Perkins was employed by the draft registration board to examine young men for the draft.  During this job, he befriended many servicemen and kept track of their military service during the war.  Dr. Perkins died in 1922, and his widow, Clara, donated the collection to the Dorchester Historical Society in 1924.

According to Dr. Perkins, Harold A. Andrews, 73 River St., Mattapan, enlisted in WW1 on December 7, 1917. He was sent to Fort Slocum, NY and then to Jacksonville, Florida for training.  He served in the 301st Field Remount Squadron, American Expeditionary Forces, France. The A.E.F. was the expeditionary force of the U.S. Army during WW1. It was established on July 5, 1917, in France under the command of Gen. John J. Pershing. Remount units worked with the Veterinary Corps to care for and supply fresh horses for the troops and supply wagons, as the horses were so frequently incapacitated or killed.

Harold A. Andrews was born in 1895, the youngest of 10 children (4 brothers and 5 sisters), on 73 River St., Mattapan to Thomas Alonzo Andrews Jr. and Charlotte (Armstrong). His parents were both born in East Boston. Thomas worked as an engineer in the Fire Department and Charlotte worked as a book keeper.

By 1910, only one of Harold’s brothers, Edwin Leslie born in 1890, was still living at home and he was working at the Baker chocolate factory. Three sisters were still living at home and working as mill hands in the chocolate factory.

Both Harold, age 22, and his brother Edwin, age 26, registered for the first draft on June 5, 1917. Harold is listed as an electrical operator for the Edison Electric Light Co. in Dorchester. He was single, white, medium height and slender with blue eyes and dark hair. Edwin is listed as an Electrical operator at the Edison Electric Co. in Milton. Edwin was single, Caucasian, short and slender with brown eyes and black hair. Edwin claimed exemption due to the care of his mother and also in so far as his service may be necessary to the Public Utility Service in which he is employed. Also it is possible he did not eventually serve as he may not have been well. He died of TB at age 27 in May 1918.

According to an internet search on the U.S. Remount Squadron No. 301, WW1, the Squadron sailed overseas from Hoboken, NJ, under the command of Captain John S. Hunt, April 30, 1918, and arrived at St. Nazaire, Loire Inferieure, France, Remount Depot No. 1 on May 12.  For several months, the unit served at the Depot at Coetquidan and then reported for duty under the Commanding General First Army in Heippes (near Souilly and Verdun) where an Army Evacuation/Collection Station was established, the Army Animals Evacuation Depot at Aubreville. Animals that were evacuated to the Station were relayed by rail to S.O.S. Veterinary Hospitals. The station was established to meet the needs of the Veterinary Army Corps during the Meuse-Argonne operations. Thousands of animals were received and issued until the Depot closed April 28, 1919. The 301 departed Verdun and marched with the 3rd Army for Wengerohr, Germany. The 301 was stationed at the Depot there until they departed for home in June 1919. There is a photo on line of the 301st Field Remount Squadron at Wengerohr, just google “301 Remount Squadron”.

By 1920, Harold had married Myrtle (Mertyl) L. Healy (b. 1899) and both are living with his mother Charlotte and two of his sisters, still at 73 River St.  Harold’s father, Thomas, had died suddenly of “natural causes” at age 63 in 1914, having retired from the Boston Fire Department.

In 1930, Harold was living with his wife and their 2 children, Helen (8 years old) and Harold Andrews Jr., (6 years old) on Fiske Ave. in East Weymouth. He was listed as a watchman in the electricity business.

On April 28, 1933, Harold died suddenly, presumably of heart disease (coronary thrombosis), at age 37 at home in E. Weymouth. He had been an operator at the Edison Plant for 16 years. He was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, with his wife’s grandparents, after an Odd Fellows service in the chapel. He was a member of the Dorchester Lodge, 158, I.O.O.F., River St., Dorchester Lower Mills.


Birth, Marriage and Death Records, Familysearch.org

Census Records, 1880, 1910, 1920, 1930, Familysearch.org

Cedar Grove Cemetery Record

Death notice, Boston Globe

Draft Registration Records, Familysearch.org

Registry of Vital Records and Statistics, 150 Mt. Vernon St., Dorchester, MA

Website: 301 Remount Squadron


Posted on

March 23, 2022

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.